Dot Matrix Skywriting Over Toronto - 12:45

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dot Matrix
In summary: Hrmm...according to an old guy I heard about, it's all those space rockets we keep shooting up that's putting holes in the zone layer.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Seen over downtown Toronto at 12:45. Dot matrix skywriting. Cool. At first I thought it was one plane with a series of pods dragging below it, but we were able to actually spot five planes flying in formation.

The letters are so perfect that the 'puffing' is obviously centrally computer-controlled (probably from the lead craft). We can see that the planes do not stay in perfect formation - some pull slightly ahead, some fall slightly behind. That means that they also have real-time distance tracking tied into alter the puff times of each craft to compensate for being slightly out of position.

A friend got a pic of the writing part way through, so we should be able to see the planes. working on it...

Attachments

• claritin.jpg
    claritin.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 565
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool! Does the plane make a loud BZZZZZT with each line?

At the speed the dots are being produced, it would have to be more like a "zit...zit...zit...zit..."

That is awesome!

I saw this happen back in the late 70s over the skies of Northern Virginia. That means that this method is older than dot-matrix printing. I have no idea what the message was, but I watched those planes circle for about an hour.

Chi Meson said:
I saw this happen back in the late 70s over the skies of Northern Virginia. That means that this method is older than dot-matrix printing. I have no idea what the message was, but I watched those planes circle for about an hour.

Well, at least the speed of printing was about the same.

JaredJames said:
Well, at least the speed of printing was about the same.

But do you need special skies with holes on the edges? :biggrin:

physics girl phd said:

What do you think the issue with the ozone layer is all about... :wink:

physics girl phd said:

:rofl:

Holy ****! Now all I want to do is buy Claritin!

JaredJames said:
What do you think the issue with the ozone layer is all about... :wink:

Hrmm...according to an old guy I heard about, it's all those space rockets we keep shooting up that's putting holes in the zone layer.

1. What is dot matrix skywriting?

Dot matrix skywriting is a type of aerial advertising where a plane uses a dot matrix printer to create letters and images in the sky. It works by releasing a series of puffs of smoke in specific patterns to form the desired message or image.

2. How is dot matrix skywriting done?

To create dot matrix skywriting, a pilot uses a specialized plane equipped with a dot matrix printer that releases puffs of smoke at specific intervals. The pilot follows a predetermined flight plan to create the desired message or image in the sky.

3. Why is it called "dot matrix" skywriting?

The term "dot matrix" refers to the method of creating the message or image in the sky using a series of individual dots. These dots are created by the puffs of smoke released from the plane's dot matrix printer.

4. Is dot matrix skywriting environmentally friendly?

Dot matrix skywriting is considered to be relatively environmentally friendly. The smoke used is non-toxic and dissipates quickly, causing minimal impact on the environment. However, it is important for pilots to follow regulations and avoid flying in areas with high air traffic or sensitive habitats.

5. Where can I see dot matrix skywriting?

Dot matrix skywriting is most commonly seen at large outdoor events such as airshows, sporting events, and festivals. It can also be seen in major cities as a form of aerial advertising. Some companies also offer personalized dot matrix skywriting for special occasions such as weddings or birthdays.