Meaning of totally antisymmetric tensor

• Thread starter homology
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary, a tensor is a mathematical object that represents a linear relation between vectors, scalars, and other tensors. A totally antisymmetric tensor is one in which the value does not change when any two indices are exchanged, while a totally symmetric tensor remains the same under any pair exchange of indices. The Levi-Civita symbol is often used to represent the sign changes in a totally antisymmetric tensor. However, confusion can arise when incorrectly assuming a tensor is totally symmetric, as it may lead to errors.
homology
Simple question I am confused on. If I have a tensor [itex]M^{\alpha\beta\gamma}[/itex] that is totally antisymmetric in its indices then is it the case that M changes sign under the exchange of any two indices? And as a followup, a totally symmetric tensor has no sign changes on any pair exchange of indices?

Thanks,

Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of a tensor, and of a totally antisymmetric tensor (resp. totally symmetric tensor)?

Damn I think I figured out my problem. I was going off Carroll's definition/discussion of (anti-) symmetry (Spacetime and Geometry) which implies that an exchange of a pair of indices in a totally antisymmetric tensor yields a sign change. This is fine I realize now, what is not fine is the following.

I was looking at [itex]\partial_{\alpha}F_{\beta\gamma}[/itex]. I know that [itex]\partial_{\[\alpha}F_{\beta\gamma\]}=0[/itex] and I then INCORRECTLY assumed that [itex]\partial_{\alpha}F_{\beta\gamma}[/itex] was totally symmetric which was leading me into errors...argh...noob mistake.

A totally antisymmetric tensor is a type of tensor that has a specific property where it changes sign when any two indices are exchanged. This means that if we have a tensor M^{\alpha\beta\gamma}, and we swap the positions of any two indices, the resulting tensor will have a negative sign compared to the original tensor. In other words, the value of the tensor is dependent on the order of its indices.

As for the follow-up question, a totally symmetric tensor, on the other hand, does not change sign under any pair exchange of indices. This means that the value of the tensor remains the same regardless of the order of its indices.

These properties are important in the study of tensors as they allow us to categorize and understand their behavior and properties. I hope this explanation helps to clarify your confusion.

What is a totally antisymmetric tensor?

A totally antisymmetric tensor is a type of tensor in mathematics and physics that has the property of changing sign when any two indices are swapped. In other words, it is a type of tensor that is skew-symmetric in all of its indices.

What are the properties of a totally antisymmetric tensor?

A totally antisymmetric tensor must satisfy the conditions of antisymmetry, meaning that it changes sign when any two indices are swapped, and total antisymmetry, meaning that it changes sign when any permutation of its indices is applied. It also has the property of being invariant under orthogonal transformations.

What is the significance of a totally antisymmetric tensor in physics?

Totally antisymmetric tensors are often used in physics to represent physical quantities that have direction and magnitude, such as angular momentum or electromagnetic fields. They also play a crucial role in describing the behavior of physical systems that exhibit rotational symmetry.

How is a totally antisymmetric tensor represented mathematically?

A totally antisymmetric tensor is typically represented using the Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the alternating symbol, which is a mathematical symbol used to denote the sign of permutations. It is often denoted by the symbol ε and is defined as 1 for an even permutation, -1 for an odd permutation, and 0 for any repeated indices.

What are some examples of physical quantities that can be represented by a totally antisymmetric tensor?

Some examples include angular momentum, torque, magnetic fields, and electric fields. In general, any physical quantity that is both vectorial and has direction and magnitude can be represented by a totally antisymmetric tensor.