Convert muscular energy to electricity

In summary: Muscle power pays my power bill.In summary, the conversation discusses different ways to convert muscular energy into electrical energy without using a traditional generator. Some options mentioned include using myoelectric signals, piezoelectric crystals, and linear generators. However, it is noted that these methods have limited efficiency and may not be practical for powering larger devices like street lights.
mafik66
Hi to all physicists

How can convert muscular (mechanical) energy to electricity without using a generator?

In fact I am looking for a way to convert muscular energy to electricity energy without use the generator.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You can't, technically. Anything that converts another form of energy to electricity is a generator.
If you're referring to myoelectric signals, as are used in controlling prosthetic devices, that isn't conversion. It's merely detection of what is already electricity.

thanks for answer.
but let's make my question more clear, I want to convert muscular energy into electrical energy, with highest efficiently
and i need a small device (generator) to this purpose. which don't have Rotating shaft and gears?

are there the generator don't have Rotating shaft and gears?

mafik66 said:
are there the generator don't have Rotating shaft and gears?

Sure. The forever flashlight does what you describe.

Averagesupernova said:

I have one of those! My boss at my last place of employment gave it to my mother several years ago. It's weak, and takes a lot of pumping, but it's a lot better than being in the dark.

A piezoelectric crystal in the heel of each shoe can do this. Or just click your gas lighter a lot of times. Or comb the cat.

Averagesupernova said:
in forever flashlight the magnet slides back and forth through the coil and generated a pulse of electricity in the coil, in fact the system is linear motion. well can do this motion system in Rotational motion (clockwise and counterclockwise motion together) without Neutralization of current?

NascentOxygen said:
A piezoelectric crystal in the heel of each shoe can do this. Or just click your gas lighter a lot of times. Or comb the cat.

thanks but piezoelectric crystal don't have enough efficiency for convert to electric

What have you got against rotation?

mafik66, You are not alone in trying to generate useful power from piezoelectric generators, both crystalline and flexible film types. Here is a selection of products where they are useful. The last reference is the report of research to generate and store electrical energy. The researchers report it is NOT practical. DARPA has paid for several projects for soldiers to recharge their batteries by walking, etc., all without practical success. If you discover how to do this using muscle power, more power to you.

http://www.imagesco.com/catalog/sensors/piezo.html

POWER GENERATION, page 71
www.imagesco.com/articles/piezo/piezo00.html

www.metrolog.net/.../piezo.../piezofilm_energy_generation_II_enus_...

"The investigation shows that the power output from a single piezo-film was very low in the range of 0.2 W. Therefore, direct application of the piezo-film as a power source is not practical. It is unavoidable to use a storage device to collect the weak power output for future usage. Fortunately, the voltage outputs from a single piezo-film can produce a root-mean-squared voltage of 1.18 V which is high enough to store the generated electricity into a small nickel metal hydride battery."
www.wwwsst.ums.edu.my/data/file/SqD1WjfN7sf2.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
is it efficient for me to use a piezoelectric crystal to capture the energy from the footstep of walking people and store it,for later use(light up the street lights)

elric, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Research into soldiers generating power while walking using piezpelectrics has been done. The amounts of power are small, but are usable for recharging radio batteries, for instance. See:

US Army's Boot-Based Energy Harvester Lightens Soldier's Load
11/21/2011

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1365&dfpLayout=blog&dfpPParams=ht%5F13%2Cindustry%5Falt%2Cindustry%5Fgov%2Caid%5F235935&doc_id=235935&image_number=1

As for the second part of your question: storage and use to light up street lights: battery technology is improving the energy density storage capacity, but only gradually. Street lights use LARGE amounts of power, so probably human footsteps during walking just wouldn't generate enough power to light up the streets.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps you could also use linear generators (magnet sliding along a spool), you could attach them to the side of boots

Muscle power performs my job.

I get paid.

I pay my power bill.

1. How can muscular energy be converted into electricity?

Muscular energy can be converted into electricity through the use of a device called a biomechanical energy harvester. This device converts the mechanical energy produced by muscle movement into electrical energy through the use of piezoelectric or electrostatic materials.

2. What is the principle behind converting muscular energy to electricity?

The principle behind converting muscular energy to electricity is based on the piezoelectric effect, which states that certain materials can generate an electrical charge when subjected to mechanical stress. When the muscles contract and relax, they create mechanical stress that can be harnessed by the energy harvester to produce electricity.

3. What are some potential applications of converting muscular energy to electricity?

Converting muscular energy to electricity has potential applications in the field of wearable technology, specifically in the development of self-powered devices such as health and fitness trackers. It can also be used in medical implants, prosthetics, and other devices that require a self-sustaining power source.

4. Are there any limitations to converting muscular energy to electricity?

One limitation of converting muscular energy to electricity is that the amount of energy produced is relatively small compared to other sources. This means that it may not be suitable for high-power devices. Additionally, the energy harvester may not be able to efficiently convert all types of muscle movements into electricity.

5. What are some current research efforts in this field?

Current research efforts in converting muscular energy to electricity are focused on improving the efficiency and reliability of energy harvesters, as well as exploring new materials and designs for these devices. There is also ongoing research on ways to integrate these energy harvesters into various wearable and implantable devices for practical use.