D Physics: A Guide to the Diverse Fields of Physics

In summary: No, theoretical physics is a methodology. It is the study of the principles and methods of theoretical physical research.
Poop-Loops
Is there any place I can find a simple guide to the different fields of physics? I'm not sure what I want to go into, since I have no idea what most of those fields are. When googling, I end up getting some university page that has the different physics offered with descriptions like "Quantum Mechanics 1: Basics of Quantum Mechanics". Not really answering my question, you know?

PL

Physics news on Phys.org
Poop-Loops said:
Is there any place I can find a simple guide to the different fields of physics? I'm not sure what I want to go into, since I have no idea what most of those fields are. When googling, I end up getting some university page that has the different physics offered with descriptions like "Quantum Mechanics 1: Basics of Quantum Mechanics". Not really answering my question, you know?

PL

This website lists all the various units or division under the wing of the American Physical Society. If you click on the drop-down button for the Division Homepages, you will see various divisions that loosely corresponds to the many areas of physics. Each division homepage gives you a brief description (some even more elaborate) of what it is and why it is important.

http://www.aps.org/units/index.cfm

Zz.

Last edited:
Poop-Loops said:

PL

You wouldn't have to worry what fields of physics you would be specializing it until you get to the graduate level though.

Cool beans. Exactly what I was looking for. :D

So in undergrad I just learn the basics of everything?

PL

Poop-Loops said:
Cool beans. Exactly what I was looking for. :D

So in undergrad I just learn the basics of everything?

PL

Mostly... and a few labs here and there. Depending on where you go to school, you may have a lot of options later on, especially in your Senior year. You may get to choose a more specialized course to take, more advanced lab work, a senior thesis research project, even graduate level courses, if you're so inclined.

I would suggest that, starting your Junior and into the Senior year, you start attending your department's seminar/colloquium. While most of the stuff will be way over your head, this will expose you to the various kinds of physics research that's going on elsewhere. So while you can basically ignore the physics details, pay attention of what exactly the work is about, how it is done, and WHERE it is done (in case you might want to go there for graduate school).

Zz.

Does anyone know about fileds of theoretical physics?

noppakhuns said:
Does anyone know about fileds of theoretical physics?

Theoretical physics is NOT a field of physics. It is a "methodology", as is "experimental physics".

When you do nuclear physics, for example, there's an experimental aspect, and a theoretical aspect. People doing theoretical nuclear physics do theoretical analysis, phenomenology, modeling, etc.. People doing experimental nuclear physics do experiments, debunk theories, verify theories, discover new stuff, do some phenomenology, etc.

Zz.

I thought theoretical physics was a field in itself too. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

PL

What is D Physics?

D Physics is a comprehensive guide to the diverse fields of physics, covering topics ranging from classical mechanics to quantum physics. It aims to provide a broad understanding of the fundamental principles and theories in physics and how they are applied in various areas of science and technology.

What are some of the key topics covered in D Physics?

D Physics covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, relativity, quantum physics, and particle physics. It also includes discussions on the history of physics, current research and advancements, and the application of physics in everyday life.

Who is D Physics intended for?

D Physics is intended for anyone interested in gaining a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and theories in physics. It is suitable for students, educators, and curious individuals who want to learn more about this fascinating field of science.

How is D Physics different from other physics textbooks?

D Physics offers a unique approach to learning physics by presenting the material in a more diverse and engaging way. It includes real-world examples, historical perspectives, and interactive elements to help readers better understand the concepts and theories discussed.

What can readers expect to gain from reading D Physics?

By reading D Physics, readers can expect to gain a solid foundation in the principles and theories of physics, as well as a deeper appreciation for the diverse applications of physics in our world. They will also develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are essential for success in the field of science.