Photon Momentum varies along waveform?

In summary, the M.I.T. Physics lecture discussed the concept of B and E crossing over the x-axis as the lowest energy state or position of a wave. The lecturer also mentioned that the momentum of a photon does not change as it propagates and that photons are not tiny "bullets" or localized bundles of classical E and B fields. The Poynting vector was also mentioned as representing the momentum density of the electromagnetic field, and it was explained that photon states of zero momentum do not exist due to their dispersion relation.
jmatejka
An M.I.T. Physics lecture mentioned B and E crossing over the x-axis as lowest energy state/position of the wave(s).

Along the x axis, path of photon, is photon momentum here the lowest also?

Does momentum vary?

For a tiny target, if a photon collides at this exact point is there no momentum transfer?

Physics news on Phys.org
jmatejka said:
An M.I.T. Physics lecture

Can you give a link? I'm not sure what you're referring to here; the description you're giving doesn't seem correct.

Likes 1 person
At 6:00 on the video:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-02-electricity-and-magnetism-spring-2002/video-lectures/lecture-28-index-of-refraction-and-poynting-vector/

S=0
B=0
E=0

So momentum is zero?

"Time average value is usually discussed"

A photon does not change momentum as it propagates.

Be very cautious about "mixing" the classical description of electromagnetic radiation in terms of waves of oscillating E and B fields on the one hand, and the quantum description in terms of photons on the other hand. Photons are not tiny "bullets" or localized bundles of classical E and B fields.

As far as I know, the only "safe" way to connect the two pictures at the introductory or intermediate physics level (i.e. without going into the mathematical details of quantum electrodynamics) is by way of the total energy of the radiation. If the classical E and B fields in some volume of space have a certain amplitude, you can calculate the energy contained in that volume; and if you know the frequency, you can use that energy to calculate the number of photons. You can also go the other way if you have a very large number of photons. However, if you have only a few photons, I don't think it's meaningful to talk about classical E and B fields.

Thanks Guys!

The Poynting vector ##\vec{S}## represents the momentum density of the EM field. To get the total momentum ##P_{EM}## of the EM you have to integrate over a volume and clearly the momentum of an EM wave is not going to vanish in an entire finite volume even if the density vanishes at a single point ##(t,\vec{x})## where ##\vec{E} = \vec{B} = 0## i.e. ##P_{EM} \neq 0## for the radiation field since it is integrated over a finite volume and the radiation field certainly has to carry momentum through this volume.

Furthermore you are trying to use a classical field variable to describe the quantum mechanical concept of a photon. You have to first quantize the EM momentum to get a momentum operator ##\hat{P}_{EM}## for the EM field that acts on single photon states from which you will find that the single photon states are momentum eigenstates of the EM momentum operator: ##\hat{P}_{EM}|k \rangle = \vec{k}|k \rangle## where ##|k \rangle## are single photon states. In other words the single photon states are states of definite momentum ##\vec{k}## of the EM field, through ##\hat{P}_{EM}##.

Since photons are basically "excitations" or "vibrations" of the EM field, much like the vibrational normal modes in a crystal, you can think of this as saying that the momentum (not momentum density!) of the EM field is composed of the momenta of the photons that are excitations of it. Anyways, the upshot is you cannot have ##\vec{k} = 0## i.e. photon states of zero momentum do not exist, simply by virtue of their dispersion relation.

Likes 1 person

1. What is photon momentum?

Photon momentum is the amount of motion or energy that a photon has. It is a fundamental property of photons and is related to their wavelength and frequency.

2. How does photon momentum vary along a waveform?

The momentum of a photon varies along its waveform because the photon's energy and frequency change as it travels through space. As the photon moves, its energy and frequency decrease, causing a decrease in its momentum.

3. Why does photon momentum vary along a waveform?

This variation in photon momentum along a waveform is due to the principle of conservation of energy. As the photon's energy decreases, its momentum must also decrease to maintain the same amount of overall energy.

4. How is photon momentum related to the speed of light?

Photon momentum is directly proportional to the speed of light. This means that as the speed of light increases, so does the momentum of the photon. The speed of light is a constant, so any changes in its momentum are solely due to changes in its energy and frequency.

5. Can the momentum of a photon be measured?

Yes, the momentum of a photon can be measured using various techniques such as measuring the change in direction or speed of an object after it is struck by a photon. However, due to the small mass of a photon, its momentum is typically measured in units of energy (e.g. joules) rather than traditional units of momentum (e.g. kg*m/s).