Arithmetic mean of two unknowns in a system of equations

There is a simplicity to your idea that is attractive. However, I know that you have seen now that it really doesn't work, because it doesn't give the correct answer. You will do well to remember that when you come up with a new idea, you should always check that it actually works. See if it actually gives the correct answer. In summary, the method used to find the arithmetic mean in this problem, treating the equations as individual units, does not work and will not give the correct answer. It is important to check that a new method actually works and gives the correct answer before using it.
travism123

Homework Statement

When finding the arithmetic mean in a system of equations is there any reason why the method that I am using is wrong?

Find the arithmetic mean of x and y in the following set of equations

Homework Equations

3x + 5y = 65 and
7x + 14y = 175

The Attempt at a Solution

I treated it as a statistics problem where x's and y's are individual units, so...
10x + 19y = 240

mean = 240/29 since mean = total sum/N My answer is 8 and 8/29

I understand that this method might not be the correct way of doing it, but if the number of units is known (10x, and not 10xy) is there any reason that this method of finding the arithmetic mean will not work.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to look at this. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
travism123 said:

Homework Statement

When finding the arithmetic mean in a system of equations is there any reason why the method that I am using is wrong?
Yes. See below.
travism123 said:
Find the arithmetic mean of x and y in the following set of equations

Homework Equations

3x + 5y = 65 and
7x + 14y = 175

The Attempt at a Solution

I treated it as a statistics problem where x's and y's are individual units, so...
10x + 19y = 240
You can do this, but it is of no help.
travism123 said:
mean = 240/29 since mean = total sum/N My answer is 8 and 8/29
This part is not valid. If the left side were 10x + 19x, you could combine these terms to 29x, and it would make sense to divide by 29.
travism123 said:
I understand that this method might not be the correct way of doing it, but if the number of units is known (10x, and not 10xy) is there any reason that this method of finding the arithmetic mean will not work.

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to look at this. :smile:
The more obvious approach to this problem is to find the solutions x and y to the system of equations, and then find the arithmetic mean of these numbers. This system can be solved pretty easily, giving integer solutions.

Thank you Mark.

I guess that I still don't understand why this is wrong. If I solve the equations I get:

x=5 and y=10

So the way that I am looking at it, I have a group of ten 5's and nineteen 10's. If I want to find the mean value for this group then wouldn't it make sense to add them to get my total sum, or 240, and then divide by N, or 29.

x and y are equal between equations, so I am not looking for the mean of x and the mean of y, only the mean of every unknown in the set of equations, or x and y together.

Obviously I would need to solve the equations first if there were an equation with an unknown being multiplied by an unknown like: 10xy + xy + 14y = 392. Then I completely understand why this would not work, but if I know the exact number of x's and y's why can I not simply add the n of each group together to get my N, and then divide the total sum by N?

In the end, isn't it accomplishing the same thing as solving the equations to integers, and then finding the mean.

Just to clarify...I am only looking for the correct answer, and not the correct method. The way that I did it originally seems to be a big shortcut.

Again, thanks very much.

travism123 said:
In the end, isn't it accomplishing the same thing as solving the equations to integers, and then finding the mean.
Well, no, because you get different answers. The arith. mean of 5 and 10 is 7.5, which is different from the value you got, which is about 8.28.

What you have said makes some sense, but I have never seen a problem where you are expected to take a system of equations and do anything but find its solution. I guess some context for this problem would be helpful--can you give us the exact wording of the problem?

I am positive that you are right Mark.

The actual question was easier:

If a + 2b = 14 and 5a + 4b = 16 what is the average (arithmetic mean) of a and b?

(a) 1.5
(b) 2
(c) 2.5
(d) 3
(e) 3.5

The answer is 2.5.

(6a + 6b = 30)/6 = a + b = 5

5/2 = 2.5

I think that I made it more complicated than necessary. Thanks, and sorry for taking up your time with something so obvious.

No problem. I don't mind helping at all. A favorite saying of mine is, "Keep things as simple as possible, but no simpler."

1. What is the arithmetic mean of two unknowns in a system of equations?

The arithmetic mean of two unknowns in a system of equations is the average value of the two unknowns. It is calculated by adding the two unknowns and dividing the sum by 2.

2. How is the arithmetic mean used in a system of equations?

The arithmetic mean is used in a system of equations to find a balance or midpoint between two unknown values. It is often used in mathematical and scientific calculations to simplify complex equations.

3. Can the arithmetic mean of two unknowns be used to solve a system of equations?

No, the arithmetic mean of two unknowns alone cannot be used to solve a system of equations. It can only provide a value that can be used as a starting point for solving the system.

4. What happens if the two unknowns in a system of equations have the same value?

If the two unknowns in a system of equations have the same value, then the arithmetic mean will be equal to that value. This means that the system has infinitely many solutions.

5. Is the arithmetic mean of two unknowns always a solution to a system of equations?

No, the arithmetic mean of two unknowns is not always a solution to a system of equations. It is only a solution when the two unknowns have an equal weight or importance in the system. In other cases, it may provide an estimate or approximation of a solution.