How to measure crash impact of a remote control car?

In summary, the conversation is about wanting to mount a measuring device on a remote control car in order to crash it into a wall and measure the speed and deceleration during impact. The goal is to understand the forces involved and potentially find a product that can be attached to the toy car. The suggestion is to search for "crumple zone" and use an accelerometer or radar to measure velocity. Additionally, mounting an LED and recording a video can provide a velocity profile.
KirkB
I want to mount some type of measuring device on a remote control car, and then crash it into a wall. As a result of the impact, I want to look at the speed the car was traveling at point of impact, as well as the rate of decelleration that occurred after impact (using various bumpers). I think this is similar to how car manufacturers and vehicle safety agencies test cars for safety, but on a much smaller scale. I'm hoping someone can at least provide me with the appropriate key words to search the internet with, so that I can study and understand the forces involved. I would also like to find websites where someone has done something similar to this, and also to hopefully find a ready-made product that I can attach to the toy car. However, I don't really know what I'm looking for well enough to do a proper search. Any advice is appreciated, as I'm a physics rookie.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try
"crumple zone"
which is the designed crumpling of the front of the vehicle to give a controlled deceleration to the passengers.

You need an accelerometer

It would probably be more accurate to use a radar to find a top velocity of the car, as opposed to using the force of impact to figure out the final velocity. Then take the top velocity as the worse case scenario for wrecking, and find impulse time's measured for particular materials, like a wall and the bumper.

Mounting an LED on the vehicle that is flashing at a known rate, and making a video of the car from the side, will tell you the velocity profile to some degree of accuracy.

1. How do I measure the speed of a remote control car during a crash?

To measure the speed of a remote control car during a crash, you will need a high-speed camera or a radar gun. Set up the camera or radar gun at a distance from the crash site and record the crash. The speed of the car can then be calculated by measuring the distance the car traveled and the time it took to travel that distance.

2. What is the best way to measure the force of impact in a remote control car crash?

The best way to measure the force of impact in a remote control car crash is by using an accelerometer. This device measures the acceleration and deceleration of the car during the crash, which can then be used to calculate the force of impact.

3. Can I use a scale to measure the weight of a remote control car before and after a crash?

Yes, you can use a scale to measure the weight of a remote control car before and after a crash. This will give you an idea of the amount of damage the car sustained during the crash. However, keep in mind that the weight of the car may not be an accurate measure of the force of impact.

4. Is there a specific angle at which I should conduct the crash test?

There is no specific angle that is recommended for conducting a crash test on a remote control car. However, it is important to ensure that the car is aimed at the crash site to minimize any external factors that may affect the results of the test.

5. How many times should I repeat the crash test to get accurate results?

It is recommended to repeat the crash test at least three times to get accurate results. This will help to account for any variations in the test and provide a more reliable average. However, the number of repetitions may vary depending on the specific experiment and its goals.