Figuring out the efficiency of an inclined plane

In summary, Samantha used a 4m plank as an incline to lift a 225kg motorcycle 60cm onto a truck, requiring only 345N of force. The work output was calculated to be 1350J, while the work input was 1380J, resulting in an efficiency of 97.8%. The mechanical advantage was determined to be 6.5, by dividing the weight of the motorcycle (2250N) by the force applied (345N).
simplekin

Homework Statement

Rather than lifting a 225kg motorcycle 60cm on a truck, Samantha uses a 4m plank as an incline and only requires 345N to push up the ramp

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

To find work output, i did .6M X 2250N giving me 1350 J
To find work input, i did 345N X 4M giving me 1380J
I divided 1350J by 1380J giving me 97.8 % efficiency
For mechanical advantage i said 6.5, by dividing 2250N by 345N

Can somone correct this, or tell me if I got this right, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me. (You are using a value of g = 10 m/s^2.)

Your calculations for work output and input are correct. However, to find the efficiency of an inclined plane, you need to divide the work output by the work input, not the other way around. This gives you an efficiency of 97.8%, which means that 97.8% of the input energy was used to lift the motorcycle.

For mechanical advantage, you need to divide the output force (2250N) by the input force (345N), which gives you a mechanical advantage of 6.5. This means that with the use of the inclined plane, Samantha only needed to exert 1/6.5 of the force she would have needed to lift the motorcycle directly.

Additionally, it would be helpful to include the equation for efficiency, which is Efficiency = (Work output / Work input) x 100%. This will make your solution more clear and complete.

Related to Figuring out the efficiency of an inclined plane

1. How do you calculate the efficiency of an inclined plane?

The efficiency of an inclined plane can be calculated by dividing the output work by the input work and multiplying by 100%. The formula for efficiency is: Efficiency = (Output work / Input work) * 100%.

2. What is the purpose of finding the efficiency of an inclined plane?

The purpose of finding the efficiency of an inclined plane is to determine how much of the input energy is converted into useful output work. This information can be used to improve the design and function of inclined planes in various applications.

3. How is the output work measured in an inclined plane?

The output work of an inclined plane is measured by multiplying the weight of the object being moved by the height it is lifted to. This is known as the output force multiplied by the output distance.

4. What factors affect the efficiency of an inclined plane?

The efficiency of an inclined plane can be affected by several factors, such as friction, the angle of inclination, and the weight of the load being moved. A higher friction force will decrease efficiency, while a steeper angle of inclination and a lighter load will increase efficiency.

5. How can the efficiency of an inclined plane be improved?

To improve the efficiency of an inclined plane, reducing friction between the object and the plane's surface is key. This can be achieved by using smoother materials or adding lubricants. Additionally, adjusting the angle of inclination and using lighter loads can also increase efficiency.