Question regarding the Moon and Earth and height and weight

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a problem involving an object's weight on the surface of the Earth and the moon. The Universal Gravitational Constant is mentioned and the equation for gravitational force between two objects is provided. The conversation also includes a reminder not to post complete solutions for homework problems and clarification on using the radius distance between an object and the center of mass in the equation.
.NoStyle
Hi guys, I'm stuck on a problem with my homework:

#44. How far above the surface of the Earth does an object have to be in order for it to have the same weight as it would have on the surface of the moon? (Neglect any effects from the Earth's gravity for the object on the moon's surface or from the moon's gravity for the object above the earth.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do? Would this involve using the Universal Gravitational Constant? Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the equation for the gravitational force between two objects (like the Earth and a person, or the moon and a person)?

Hi Berkeman,

The UGC is:

F=(G*m1*m2)/r^2

where G = 6.674X10^-11Nm^2/kg^2

Thank you

.NoStyle said:
Hi Berkeman,

The UGC is:

F=(G*m1*m2)/r^2

where G = 6.674X10^-11Nm^2/kg^2

Thank you

Good. So now do you see how you can solve the question? What masses do you need to know, and which ones do you not need to know? Why?

<< solution deleted by berkeman >>

If you need more help, take a look at the attached picture, but try for yourself first! ;)

<< attachment deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul L said:
<< solution deleted by berkeman >>

If you need more help, take a look at the attached picture, but try for yourself first! ;)

<< attachment deleted by berkeman >>

Paul, we do not allow complete solutions to be posted for homework/coursework problems. That is one reason that we require these types of questions to be posted in the Homework Help forums. The original poster (OP) must do the bulk of the work, and our help is confined to hints and suggestions like the ones I posted above.

berkeman said:
Good. So now do you see how you can solve the question? What masses do you need to know, and which ones do you not need to know? Why?

I'm not familiar with this formula, so I'm not sure if I use Earth's
radius or the moon's radius. Also, I don't know how this will determine
the height I would need to be at for a particular to weigh the same as
on the moon.

Thanks berkeman

well, I could see having two radii and subtracting one from the other to determine the height?

.NoStyle said:
I'm not familiar with this formula, so I'm not sure if I use Earth's
radius or the moon's radius. Also, I don't know how this will determine
the height I would need to be at for a particular to weigh the same as
on the moon.

Thanks berkeman

The R is not the radius of the mass -- it is the distance away from the center of mass that you are. So if you are on the surface of the Earth, you would use Rearth. If you are on the surface of the moon, you would use Rmoon. If you are moving away from the Earth and getting lighter and lighter, you use the radius distance between you and the center of the Earth. Does that make it clearer to you?

berkeman said:
The R is not the radius of the mass -- it is the distance away from the center of mass that you are. So if you are on the surface of the Earth, you would use Rearth. If you are on the surface of the moon, you would use Rmoon. If you are moving away from the Earth and getting lighter and lighter, you use the radius distance between you and the center of the Earth. Does that make it clearer to you?
Yes thanks a lot berkeman :)

1. What is the distance between the Moon and Earth?

The average distance between the Moon and Earth is about 238,855 miles (384,400 kilometers). However, this distance can vary due to the Moon's elliptical orbit around the Earth.

2. How does the Moon's distance from Earth affect its size?

The Moon's distance from Earth does not affect its size. The Moon has a diameter of about 2,159 miles (3,475 kilometers), making it about one-fourth the size of Earth.

3. Does the Moon's distance from Earth affect its gravitational pull?

Yes, the Moon's distance from Earth does affect its gravitational pull. The closer the Moon is to Earth, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why the tides on Earth are influenced by the Moon's position in its orbit.

4. What is the weight of the Moon compared to Earth?

The Moon's weight is about 1.2% of Earth's weight. This is because the Moon has less mass and a weaker gravitational pull compared to Earth.

5. How does the Moon's distance from Earth affect its appearance?

The Moon's distance from Earth does not affect its appearance significantly. However, when the Moon is closer to Earth, it appears larger and brighter in the sky due to its proximity. This is known as a "supermoon".