A Google employee on a camera-equipped tricycle recording images

In summary, Google uses a regular mountain bike with the rear wheel removed from the spindle, then a single speed chain from the existing back wheel spindle to a sprocket on a fixed axle between the trailer wheels. This allows them to take images for their StreetView maps without having to worry about people on the bike and allows for greater flexibility in where they can take the images.
Physics news on Phys.org
They may do that on some small streets in France, but they're not riding up and down every road in America on that thing. Especially not the highways.

It's to do pedestrianized areas (think Europe) and tourist spots (generally don't let people ride a Harley around the Lincoln memorial)

The gears look ingenious -- they are in the middle of the frame, and there must be a transmission mechanism distributing the torque to the two rear wheels. I haven't seen anything like it.

I just want to know I can get THAT job!

EnumaElish said:
The gears look ingenious -- they are in the middle of the frame, and there must be a transmission mechanism distributing the torque to the two rear wheels. I haven't seen anything like it.
It's a regular mountain bike with the rear wheel removed from the spindle, then a single speed chain from the existing back wheel spindle to a sprocket on a fixed axle between the trailer wheels.
Presumably it's to give more space behind the rider for the camera than a regular trike.
But I don't know why they wouldn't just use a regular bike trailer.

I built a system once for ground radar that used a standard kiddie trailer stuffed with a couple of batteries and a laptop.

EnumaElish said:

The bike runs on gasoline, the peddling powers the camera.

Pretty cool. Looks weighty though.

The bike doesn't appear to run on gasoline. I can see a pulley in there I think.
Would love that job. People would notice you :)

mgb_phys said:
It's a regular mountain bike with the rear wheel removed from the spindle, then a single speed chain from the existing back wheel spindle to a sprocket on a fixed axle between the trailer wheels.

There is nothing behind the seat tube that is "regular" for a mountain bike. There are no chain-stays coming from the bottom bracket, just a single tube. Same for the seat-stays. And the angle made by would-be-seat-stays suggest a real wheel placement that would be more than a foot too far back.

This might be the geometry of a modified tandem MTB, but I'm pretty sure it is a geometry invented specifically for this purpose.

Last edited:
elephunk said:
Would love that job. People would notice you :)
"I can put you in a Google map" ;-)

One time I saw a google car driving through my neighbourhood. It was pretty cool with this contraption on it's roof. When I told my friends about this they told me that I should have just kept walking beside it LOL that way I'd be everywhere on our block.

I can't wait till google starts with the live audio recordings from every street view thing. We can just have google cars on patrol of every town in america so we can stream the sounds of birds chirping from joe does house.

I see a suite of SICK laser scanners below the optical cameras. I wonder what Google is doing with that range data. It is not made directly available on StreetView.

I'm going to start my own internet company so I can drive around town with cameras on my roof top. It'll be called Boogle and I'll just devote it to beer and women.

Chi Meson said:
There is nothing behind the seat tube that is "regular" for a mountain bike. .
That's true hadn't looked clearly.

I see a suite of SICK laser scanners below the optical cameras.
Some inside info, they didn't work as well as Google hoped.

What is a Google employee on a camera-equipped tricycle?

A Google employee on a camera-equipped tricycle is a person who works for Google and is responsible for capturing images for Google Maps using a specialized tricycle equipped with cameras and other mapping technology.

Why does Google use a tricycle instead of a car for mapping?

Google uses a tricycle for mapping in areas where cars cannot easily access, such as narrow streets, pedestrian-only areas, and parks. This allows for more comprehensive mapping coverage.

How does the camera-equipped tricycle capture images?

The camera-equipped tricycle uses multiple cameras mounted on a rotating mast to capture 360-degree images. These images are then stitched together to create a panoramic view.

What other technology is used besides cameras on the tricycle?

In addition to cameras, the tricycle also uses GPS, lasers, and other sensors to capture location and terrain data. This allows for accurate mapping and 3D modeling of the environment.

How does Google ensure privacy while capturing images?

Google takes privacy very seriously and blurs out faces and other identifying information in the captured images. Additionally, all images are reviewed and any sensitive or inappropriate content is removed before being published on Google Maps.