Thermal capacitance/Heat Transfer

• Thread starter vettett15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between specific heat and heat transfer in a system involving an electrical part and a thermal strap to a heatsink. It is mentioned that specific heat may not play a significant role in steady state heat transfer, but could affect transient bursts of high device dissipation. The question is posed whether different materials and shapes of heat sinks could result in different temperatures for the electrical part.
vettett15
Guys,

Maybe someone can help, as I am having a brain fart here trying to think of how this all works. Say for instance I have an electrical part that dissipates 10 W of power and I am removing this power through the use of a thermal strap to a heatsink.

I think the problem I am having is I don't see how specific heat plays into heat transfer since the specific heat can tell you for a given energy input this is how hot your part will get. Doesn't thermal transfer depend on the temperature of the two parts. Does specific heat not matter at steady state? Would an aluminum and copper part reach the same temperature eventually given the same energy?

Dazed and confused,
Pete

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right. The SHC doesn't count in the long term - just the conductivity / emissivity etc.. The effect of transient bursts of high device dissipation could be different for different heat sink materials and shapes, though.

1. What is thermal capacitance?

Thermal capacitance, also known as heat capacity, is the amount of heat energy required to raise the temperature of a material by a certain amount. It is a measure of a material's ability to store heat energy.

2. How does thermal capacitance affect heat transfer?

Thermal capacitance plays a crucial role in heat transfer as it determines how quickly a material can absorb and release heat. Materials with a higher thermal capacitance can store more heat energy and therefore have a slower rate of temperature change compared to materials with a lower thermal capacitance.

3. What factors affect thermal capacitance?

The thermal properties of a material, such as its density, specific heat capacity, and thermal conductivity, all contribute to its thermal capacitance. Additionally, the shape and size of an object can also affect its thermal capacitance.

4. How is thermal capacitance measured?

Thermal capacitance is typically measured in units of joules per kelvin (J/K) or calories per degree Celsius (cal/°C). It can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy transferred by the change in temperature of the material.

5. How is thermal capacitance used in real-world applications?

Thermal capacitance is used in various industries, including building construction, HVAC systems, and thermal management in electronic devices. It is also an important concept in understanding climate and weather patterns, as well as in the design and optimization of thermal energy storage systems.