My First Physics Course

by element08824
Tags: physics
Share this thread:
Andy Resnick
Mar2-12, 07:03 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,508
Fair enough- I never bothered with volume 6 since it's clearly labeled "speculation", and so is not appropriate for a textbook.
Woopydalan
Mar2-12, 11:29 AM
P: 746
Why would ANYONE write a crackpot physics textbook? That has got to be the biggest waste of time ever. Is his intention to mislead students into believing false theories or something?
JustinLevy
Mar2-12, 08:39 PM
P: 894
Quote Quote by Woopydalan View Post
Why would ANYONE write a crackpot physics textbook? That has got to be the biggest waste of time ever. Is his intention to mislead students into believing false theories or something?
Your questions seem to presuppose he is aware his ideas are crackpot, which I don't believe is the case. Or at least I'd prefer to believe that he means well, even if at times he makes it hard to believe so.

What makes me really upset is that he was given a grant from some physics foundation in Germany for science outreach, to promote making a great free physics textbook.

Or at least the author Christoph Schiller claims they supported him. He also claims a whole bunch of different physicists "provided material for this text". I noticed some were at my school and so I asked them. They denied having anything to do with the book, and said despite requests Schiller would not remove the claims with their name. So it is possible he is making false claims about the foundation supporting him as well.

If someone feels up to it, maybe they should contact that foundation and find out if he is really being paid by them. If it's true, someone should be a nice citizen and bring it to their attention how their money is being spent. As only a physics student, I don't feel my words would get much attention, but maybe someone else here can try.

http://www.motionmountain.net/help.html
claims "Since May 2007, this project is supported by the Klaus Tschira Foundation."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Klaus_Tschira_Foundation

Register to reply