Simple demographics calculation

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the conversation discusses adjusting statistics based on demographics and the challenge of expressing the difference in a graph with numbers. One method suggested is considering the probability of a person being in a category given their gender, which would result in percentages that add up to 100 for each category. The conversation also mentions the need to be truthful and not manipulate numbers to fit a desired narrative.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Hi. I'm reporting some stats on my website, and I want to adjust my stats by the demographics. Been a long time since HS math... and I never studied stats anyway.

The following reads more complicated than it really is.

Of the 4095 users that filled out my questionnaire, 3255(79.5%) are female, 772(19%) are male and 68(1.5%) did not specify.

My users lump themselves into 1 of 14 categories (the categories are unimportant). We need look at only one category for now.

91 users that specified a gender were lumped into category #1. Of those 91 users, 70 were female and 21 were male. or 77% females and 23% males. That's more males than average. And that is the interesting piece of information I want to capture here: that Category 1 is a male-dominated category, despite the sheer number of female users that are in it. (I'll do the same for the other 13 categories.)

What I'm not sure about is how I demonstrate this difference in a graph with numbers. What numbers do I end up with after I've compensated for the gender bias in the above example?

I think I should end up with numbers like this - males: 54%, females:46% or thereabouts. I'm not sure how to get here from there.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Wow, not one taker?

Let me see if I can simplify.

I have 1000 users: 900 female and 100 male.

Of ten categories, Category 1 has 80 females and 20 males.

If Cat 1 were average, there would be 10 males, but instead there are 20. Clearly, Category 1 is a predominantly male category.

How do I express this numerically? As a percent? A ratio?

Before you answer, can I use the same method of expression if the numbers were more realistic? eg:
Overall: Total: 1023; 833F, 380M
Cat 1: Total: 386; 253F, 143M

One candidate method for how to express the relative gender bias would be to consider the probability a person is in a category given that they are male, and the probability given that they are female. To use the numbers in your op, that would be 21/772 and 70/3255 (2.72% and 2.15%) respectively.

If you want to know what the male and female percentages for that category would be if there were equal numbers of males and females completing the questionnaire, find 100/(2.72+2.15). Then multiply that by 2.72 for males and 2.15 for females.

Why don't you just say you have a survey of women? Don't try to be so tricky with the numbers, and tell the truth about what you found.

Paula said:
Why don't you just say you have a survey of women? Don't try to be so tricky with the numbers, and tell the truth about what you found.

?? Are you implying something about my motives? :mad: [Edit] Oh I see, you didn't bother to read the first post. :uhh: :uhh: Holy Jeez, way to go off half-cocked.

1] I don't have a survey of women. I have a survey where 3 women for every 1 man participated. My second post is exaggerating and simplifying the numbers so I can make an algorithm.

2] If category 1 was soccer-watchers, I wish to show that, within my sample, soccer-watchers were predominantly male, whereas category 2 (tennis) was predominantly female.

Last edited:
Nimz said:
One candidate method for how to express the relative gender bias would be to consider the probability a person is in a category given that they are male, and the probability given that they are female. To use the numbers in your op, that would be 21/772 and 70/3255 (2.72% and 2.15%) respectively.
Ah! So to get numbers that add up to 100...

2.15x2.72=4.87 (total for that category)
100/4.87=20.53
20.53x2.15=44.14
20.53x2.72=55.85

So. For category 1: 56% were male, 44% were female.

Perfect!

What is simple demographics calculation?

Simple demographics calculation is a method used to analyze and summarize data related to a population or group of individuals. It involves collecting information about characteristics such as age, gender, race, income, education, and location to gain a better understanding of the group.

Why is simple demographics calculation important?

Simple demographics calculation provides valuable insights into the characteristics and trends of a population. This information can be used to make informed decisions and develop strategies related to marketing, public health, social services, and more.

What are the steps involved in simple demographics calculation?

The first step is to identify the population of interest and select relevant characteristics to collect data on. Then, data can be gathered through surveys, census data, or other sources. Next, the data is organized and analyzed to identify patterns and trends. Finally, the findings are interpreted and conclusions are drawn.

What are some common challenges in simple demographics calculation?

One challenge is obtaining accurate and representative data. This can be difficult if the population is large and diverse. Another challenge is ensuring the privacy and confidentiality of the individuals whose data is being collected. Additionally, changes in demographics over time can affect the accuracy and relevance of the data.

How is simple demographics calculation used in different fields of research?

Simple demographics calculation is used in a variety of fields, including sociology, marketing, public health, and economics. It can help researchers understand the characteristics and needs of different populations, identify disparities, and inform policies and interventions.