Solving the Boy Girl Paradox Probability for Random Families

In summary, the question deals with the probability of both children being girls in a random family with two children, given that one of them is a girl. By constructing an outcome space and using a probability measure, it can be determined that the answer is 1/3. There are two common ways of phrasing this problem, one yielding an answer of 1/3 and the other yielding an answer of 1/2, depending on whether or not a child is identified as a girl. The correct interpretation for this question falls into the 1/3 case.
Verdict

Homework Statement

Suppose you choose a random family with two children. One of them is a
girl. What is the probability that both children are girls?
Derive your answer by explicitly constructing an outcome space and a probability
measure, and naming the relevant events in terms of this outcome
space. You may assume that the probability that a child is male or female is
1/2, independently of the gender of another child.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so my question is fairly straightforward; what situation am I dealing with here? If I can trust wikipedia, there are two common ways of phrasing the issue, namely

From all families with two children, at least one of whom is a boy, a family is chosen at random. This would yield the answer of 1/3.

From all families with two children, one child is selected at random, and the sex of that child is specified. This would yield an answer of 1/2.

Now, I understand the reasoning behind both of them, but I can't decide in which category my version of the question falls. It seems to have characteristics of both of them. A random family of two children is chosen, so that sounds like the 1/2 case. But a child is not identified or anything, so that makes it sound more like 1.

Can anyone help me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
Label the children with numbers (to distinguish them) and letters (to specify gender). Then if my outcome space is:

g1 g2
g1 b2
b1 g2
b1 b2

and we eliminate the last outcome, because we know one of them is a girl, and if we consider all outcomes equally likely, so that our probability measure is (number of desired outcomes)/(number of possible outcomes), then I would say the answer is 1/3.

So I think your problem falls into category 1. The problem just says, "at least one of them is a girl", it doesn't specify which one. If the problem said, "the first child is a girl" or "the second child is a girl", then obviously we'd eliminate all outcomes that didn't have g1 (or g2, as the case may be), leaving only two possible outcomes. The answer would then be 1/2. This is what you called category 2.

Verdict said:

Homework Statement

Suppose you choose a random family with two children. One of them is a
girl. What is the probability that both children are girls?
Derive your answer by explicitly constructing an outcome space and a probability
measure, and naming the relevant events in terms of this outcome
space. You may assume that the probability that a child is male or female is
1/2, independently of the gender of another child.

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright, so my question is fairly straightforward; what situation am I dealing with here? If I can trust wikipedia, there are two common ways of phrasing the issue, namely

From all families with two children, at least one of whom is a boy, a family is chosen at random. This would yield the answer of 1/3.

From all families with two children, one child is selected at random, and the sex of that child is specified. This would yield an answer of 1/2.

Now, I understand the reasoning behind both of them, but I can't decide in which category my version of the question falls. It seems to have characteristics of both of them. A random family of two children is chosen, so that sounds like the 1/2 case. But a child is not identified or anything, so that makes it sound more like 1.

Can anyone help me out?

Even more paradoxical: if you say that the oldest child is a girl, you get an answer 1/2. If you say the youngest child is a girl, you get an answer 1/2.

Sometimes it helps to think of equivalent coin-tossing games. So, if we toss a coin twice and say "there is at least one H", the probability is 1/3 that the other toss is also H. However, if you say that the first (or second) toss is H, the probability is 1/2 that the other is also H.

Hmm alright, I was also opting for the 1/3 case, and indeed mainly because the 'category 2' asks for you to identify a child of a certain sex. Nothing is said about which one in the question, I agree with you on that.

Hi Verdict! :smile:
Verdict said:
Suppose you choose a random family with two children. One of them is a girl. What is the probability that both children are girls?

I honestly don't see how you get "one child is selected at random" from "One of them is a
girl" :confused:

Does it say "One of them chosen at random is a girl"? (or "the first one is a girl")

Nope!

You'd have to read the word "random" twice into the question (or the word "first") … stop seeing things that aren't there!

tiny-tim said:
Hi Verdict! :smile:I honestly don't see how you get "one child is selected at random" from "One of them is a
girl" :confused:

Does it say "One of them chosen at random is a girl"? (or "the first one is a girl")

Nope!

You'd have to read the word "random" twice into the question (or the word "first") … stop seeing things that aren't there!

No no, you are right, but that is not why I was confused. I was confused because in my question, a family of two children is chosen at random. In the first case of the two versions on wikipedia, a random family of two children of which at least one is a girl is chosen. That's why I wasn't sure. I agree that it did not say that the one chosen at random is a girl, I just wasn't sure.

That, and the question is much harder (in my opinion) if you have to recognize that it is case 2. If not, it is rather straightforward.

Last edited:
hmm :rolleyes:

i can't help feeling that if you hadn't read wikipedia, you wouldn't have been confused! o:)

Verdict said:
Suppose you choose a random family with two children. One of them is a girl.
No marks to the problem setter! This is a classic blunder in posing this classic problem. In common parlance, what is a reasonable way to interpret "One of them is a girl"? If I say "I have two daughters; one of them is a doctor", the reasonable listener will presume the other is not. OK, we can dismiss that because of the way the question continues, but it still leaves open the question of how the 'one' was chosen. It reads as though I, the one who chose the family, happen to notice that one of them is a girl, and have not yet checked the gender of the other child.
The wording ought to be something like "at least one is a girl", or maybe better, "they are not both boys".

Verdict said:
Suppose you choose a random family with two children. One of them is a girl.

You either choose a random family from all families that have two children, or random family from all families that have two children of which at least one is a girl. These are different sets of families.

Isnt there another possible combination to factor? We eliminate gg because there is already 1 boy. So wouldn't the possibilities be: bg (older boy younger gir), gb (older girl younger boy), bb ( older boy younger boy) and then bb again? Meaning don't we factor that the older boy could be the younger and the younger could be older?

1. How does the Boy Girl Paradox Probability work?

The Boy Girl Paradox Probability is a mathematical concept that calculates the probability of having a certain number of boys and girls in a random family. It takes into account the number of children in the family and the gender ratio in the population to determine the likelihood of having a specific combination of boys and girls.

2. Can the Boy Girl Paradox Probability predict the gender of a specific child in a family?

No, the Boy Girl Paradox Probability cannot predict the gender of a specific child in a family. It only calculates the probability of having a certain number of boys and girls in a random family, based on statistical data.

3. How accurate is the Boy Girl Paradox Probability?

The accuracy of the Boy Girl Paradox Probability depends on the accuracy of the data used. If the gender ratio in the population is accurately represented and the sample size is large enough, the probability can be quite accurate. However, it should be noted that this is a theoretical concept and may not always reflect real-life situations.

4. What is the significance of the Boy Girl Paradox Probability in scientific research?

The Boy Girl Paradox Probability is useful in scientific research as it helps to understand and predict the gender distribution in random families. It can also be used to analyze trends and patterns in population data and to test statistical hypotheses related to gender ratios.

5. Can the Boy Girl Paradox Probability be applied to non-human populations?

Yes, the Boy Girl Paradox Probability can be applied to non-human populations as long as there is a defined gender ratio and a sufficient sample size. It has been used in studies involving animal populations, such as birds and primates, to understand their gender distribution patterns.