Claiming degree on resume before receiving it

In summary, the individual recently applied for their associates degree and met with an adviser to ensure all required courses were completed. However, it may take 4-6 months for the degree to be officially awarded due to the timing of the semester. The question is whether it would be appropriate to include the degree on a resume with a note indicating its pending status. The solution is to list the degree and school, along with the date the diploma will be given, and to specify that the requirements have been completed and the diploma is expected in the near future. This will indicate that the degree is pending and not yet officially awarded.
brickle11
Hello,

I just applied for my associates degree several days ago from the local community college. I had to meet with an adviser to make sure I had all my required courses completed, and fill out a graduation application form, and pay some fees.

Apparently, however, it will take around 4-6 months for them to give me the actual degree, despite having met with the adviser who confirmed I had all the required courses completed. I assume this is because it's currently the beginning of the semester, and they don't want to hand out degrees until after a semester ends.

My question is, when completing a resume, would it be looked down upon, or seem dishonest to include associates degree when completing the part about education? (All of the applications are online)

Physics news on Phys.org
brickle11 said:
My question is, when completing a resume, would it be looked down upon, or seem dishonest to include associates degree when completing the part about education? (All of the applications are online)

Yes.

Just put "(pending)"

Just list the school, degree and date the diploma will be given, you can note the requirements/course completed as of X-date, awaiting diploma.

The problem is solved by including your date of convocation. Even HR types are savvy enough to know that if you've listed a date in the near future, the degree has not officially been awarded yet. Sometimes employers or graduate schools will extend conditional offers that end the conditional status when the candidate presents proof of having been awarded the degree.

Put the degree on the resume. Don't write "pending", as they may assume you still have classes and throw your resume away. Spell out the specifics along the lines of "program completed (date you finished your last class), diploma officially awarded (date you expect the diploma in the near future)"

What does it mean to claim a degree on a resume before actually receiving it?

Claiming a degree on a resume means indicating that you have completed the requirements for a degree program and will be receiving it in the near future. This is often done to show prospective employers that you are in the process of obtaining a degree and will soon have the necessary qualifications.

Is it acceptable to claim a degree on a resume before receiving it?

This depends on the context and specific circumstances. In some cases, it may be acceptable to claim a degree if you have completed all the requirements and are awaiting graduation. However, it is not recommended to falsely claim a degree that you have not yet received or are not on track to receive.

What are the potential consequences of claiming a degree on a resume before receiving it?

Claiming a degree before actually receiving it can have serious consequences. If the employer finds out that you have falsely claimed a degree, it can damage your credibility and reputation. It can also lead to legal action if it is considered fraud or misrepresentation.

How can I accurately represent my education on my resume if I have not yet received my degree?

If you have not yet received your degree, you can still accurately represent your education on your resume by indicating the name of the degree, the expected graduation date, and the name of the institution. You can also mention any relevant coursework or academic achievements.

What steps can I take to ensure that I am not falsely claiming a degree on my resume?

To avoid falsely claiming a degree on your resume, it is important to be honest and accurate in your representation of your education. Make sure you have completed all the necessary requirements and are on track to receive the degree before indicating it on your resume. You can also have your resume reviewed by a trusted advisor or career counselor for accuracy.