How Much Chemical Solution Is Needed for Proper Dosing in Water Treatment?

In summary, the speaker has a question about dosing chemicals in a pilot plant filter and needs help determining the amount of solution needed to achieve a concentration of 5mg/L. They are also looking for assistance in choosing the right dosing pump to purchase. They are unsure about how to express the concentration of the solution and are seeking clarification.
Bashir2008
Hello everybody..

I have aquestion and hope to get help..please bear with me and try to finish reading my question..

Thank u very much for your time.

My question is

I have a pilot plant filter.. and i need to add some chemicals to the raw water before entering the filter..say for instance the water flow rate is around 20L/h

the concentration of the chmical solution is %10.. and i need to add (dose) 5mg/L...which means 5mg of the chemials to 1L of water (flows in pipe before the filter )..
My question is how much (liter or milliters ) of the solution (chemicals) should i dose it to the water to give me the 5mg/l ?
I need to solve this problem in order to get the specification of the right dosing pump that i need to buy..
So please try to help me out with this.
Thank u very much

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert, but I'm having trouble understanding what you mean by a %10 solution. Wouldn't you have to express that concentration in terms of mg/L? Or could you express the mg/L that a 100% solution would have?

Hello, thank you for reaching out for assistance with your mass balance question. In order to calculate the amount of chemical solution needed to dose the water at a concentration of 5mg/L, we can use the following formula:

C1V1 = C2V2

Where C1 is the initial concentration of the chemical solution (%10), V1 is the volume of the chemical solution we need to add, C2 is the desired concentration (5mg/L), and V2 is the volume of water we want to treat (20L).

Substituting the values into the formula, we get:

(10%)(V1) = (5mg/L)(20L)

Solving for V1, we get V1 = 10mL of the chemical solution.

Therefore, you would need to dose 10mL of the chemical solution to 20L of water in order to achieve a concentration of 5mg/L. This calculation can be used to determine the appropriate dosing pump for your needs. I hope this helps and good luck with your pilot plant filter project.

1. What is a mass balance?

A mass balance is a scientific concept that involves tracking the flow of a substance into and out of a system to determine how much of it remains within the system. It can also refer to the overall balance of mass in a closed system, where the total amount of a substance remains constant.

2. Why is mass balance important?

Mass balance is important because it allows scientists to understand the movement and distribution of substances in a system. This information is crucial for studying environmental processes, such as nutrient cycling and pollution, and for designing and managing industrial processes.

3. How is mass balance calculated?

Mass balance is calculated by keeping track of all inputs and outputs of a substance in a system, and then comparing them to determine the overall change in the amount of the substance. This can be done using mathematical equations and data from measurements or experiments.

4. What are some examples of mass balance applications?

Some examples of mass balance applications include studying the movement of pollutants in a river system, tracking the flow of nutrients in an ecosystem, and measuring the inputs and outputs of chemicals in a manufacturing plant.

5. What are the limitations of mass balance?

Mass balance has some limitations, such as the assumption of a closed system, which may not always be accurate in real-world situations. Additionally, uncertainties in measurements and mathematical models can affect the accuracy of mass balance calculations. It is important for scientists to carefully consider and address these limitations when using mass balance in their research.