Fin/Fan heat exchanger mass and energy balance

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a mass and energy balance on a fin/fan heat exchanger. The problem is finding the amount of heat going through the fins, with the hot fluid being water and the cooling fluid being air. The conversation also includes equations used and results obtained for the heat rates of water and air. There is also a discussion about the air flow rate and the use of fin efficiency in the project.
HethensEnd25
I am currently working on a project which requires a mass and energy balance on a fin/ fan heat exchanger. The problem I am running into is finding how to apply the fin efficiency to find out the amount of hea tbeing dissipated through the fins. The hot fluid is water and the cooling fluid is air.

Question: How do you find the amount of heat going through the fin/fan?

Problem :

Given:
Base area of fan A=.62 m2
OD of tubes= 15.8mm
ID=unknown
number of tubes = picture included.
Cross Flow one pass fluids unmixed

Water Data:
mass flow rate: 0.898 lb/s
Inlet Temp: 127F
Outlet Temp: 100F
Density @ (avg of temps) = 61.986lb/ft3
Cp= 1Btu/lb*F

Air Data:
Mass flow rate : 310.7 lb/s
Inlet Temp:79.1F
Outlet Temp: 88.95F
Density @ (avg temp): 0.08 lb/ft3
Cp=0.25 Btu/lb*F

Values of density and Cp taken from Unit Operations of Chemical Engineering Seventh Edition.Equations used:

q=mCpΔT

where;
q=heat rate
m=mass flow rate
Cp= specific heat
ΔT=temperature difference between inlet and outlet

q=U0AΔTL
q=heat rate
U= overal heat coefficient
A=area
ΔTL= log mean temperature difference.

Results:

Looking at water

q=24.24 Btu/s

Looking at air
q=765.09 Btu/s

Upon observation the two heat rates clearly do not equal one another.

Thus my problem. How do I find out the true amount of heat passing through the fins? Do I use the NTU method and work backwards for efficiency?

Best Regards,

D

Attached find a picture of the exchanger base with tubes

Attachments

• IMG_2691.JPG
    IMG_2691.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 599
Engineering news on Phys.org
250,000 CFM through that tiny little coil? Not likely. Take another look at how you got your air flow rate.

And why are you looking at fin efficiency? I'm curious because that is normally of interest only to the person designing the heat exchanger, not somebody doing a mass and energy balance.

jrmichler said:
250,000 CFM through that tiny little coil? Not likely. Take another look at how you got your air flow rate.

And why are you looking at fin efficiency? I'm curious because that is normally of interest only to the person designing the heat exchanger, not somebody doing a mass and energy balance.

This is being done as a project in class. The air flow rate was acquired by use of an anemometer. All the units were in GPM the bulk fluid properties were looked up. A typical anemometer reading from our experiment showed the inlet and outlet flow ranging from 1200-1600 GPM where the anemometer reads that as “1600x100”. That was a topic of discussion in class as the instructor wasn’t sure if the device was already multiplying the figures by 100 to get the readings. An example being “ is it 1600x100 to get 160,000? Or was it 16x100 to get the reading 1600”. If you could clarify that issue it would be tremendous. I plan on going back into the lab to find the model of the anemometer.

I personally am curious about the fin efficiency because I stumbled upon it in a book I had and figured it would contribute something to the overall heat coefficient.

HethensEnd25 said:
A typical anemometer reading from our experiment showed the inlet and outlet flow ranging from 1200-1600 GPM
Are you certain about units in GPM? An anemometer measures air velocity.

Edit: 310.7 pounds/sec of air mass flow works out to 3884 cubic foot/second (233025 CFM) at 0.08 pounds per cubic foot. Heat exchanger air area (not figuring for the reduction of open area by the fins and piping) is 0.62 m^2 (6.67 sq.ft). This yields an air velocity of 34936 FPM; an air speed of 397 MPH doesn't seem likely.

Last edited:

What is a Fin/Fan heat exchanger?

A Fin/Fan heat exchanger is a type of heat exchanger that uses fins and fans to transfer heat between two fluids. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial applications to cool or heat fluids such as air, water, or oil.

How does a Fin/Fan heat exchanger work?

A Fin/Fan heat exchanger works by passing one fluid through a series of tubes with fins attached to them, while the other fluid is blown over the fins by a fan. The fins increase the surface area of the tubes, allowing for more efficient heat transfer between the two fluids.

What is the purpose of a mass balance in a Fin/Fan heat exchanger?

The purpose of a mass balance in a Fin/Fan heat exchanger is to ensure that the amount of fluid entering the exchanger is equal to the amount of fluid leaving the exchanger. This is important for maintaining the efficiency of the heat exchanger and preventing any leaks or malfunctions.

What is the purpose of an energy balance in a Fin/Fan heat exchanger?

The purpose of an energy balance in a Fin/Fan heat exchanger is to ensure that the amount of energy entering the exchanger is equal to the amount of energy leaving the exchanger. This is important for maintaining the temperature of the fluids and ensuring efficient heat transfer.

How can the performance of a Fin/Fan heat exchanger be improved?

The performance of a Fin/Fan heat exchanger can be improved by increasing the surface area of the fins, increasing the fan speed, or using a more efficient fan. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the heat exchanger can also help improve its performance.