Open subspace of a compact space

In summary, the conversation discusses the claim that every open subspace of a compact space is compact. The proof provided states that if G is open, then the relative topology on G is a class of open subsets of X, and since X is compact, there exists a finite subclass of this class that contains X. However, this does not hold true as shown by the counterexample of the space [0,1] and the open subset (0,1). Therefore, the claim is not always true.
de_brook
It is a fact that if X is a compact topoloical space then a closed subspace of X is compact.
Is an open subspace G of X also compact?
please consider the following and note if i am wrong;

proof: Since G is open then the relative topology on G is class {H_i}of open subset of X such that the union of all sets in this class is G. but X is compact and each H_i is the intersection of G with P_i for corresponding i. The result foolow from the fact {p_i} has a finite subclass which contains X.
hence every open subspace of a compact space is compact.

pls, am i right?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is a fact that if X is a compact topoloical space then a closed subspace of X is compact.
Is an open subspace G of X also compact?
please consider the following and note if i am wrong;

proof: Since G is open then the relative topology on G is class {H_i}of open subset of X such that the union of all sets in this class is G. but X is compact and each H_i is the intersection of G with an open subset P_i of X for corresponding i. The result foolow from the fact {p_i} has a finite subclass which contains X.
hence every open subspace of a compact space is compact.

pls, am i right?

Not quite enough! "What I tell you three times is true" and you only said it twice!:rolleyes:

How does that result follow? An open cover of G is not necessarily an open cover of X nor can it always be extended to one. If G were closed in X, then its complement in X would be open add adding it to an open cover for G would give an open cover for X which is why a closed subset of a compact set is closed- but you can't do that for an open set. In particular, suppose X is the compact space [0, 1] with the usual metric on the real numbers (d(x,y)= |x -y|) Let G be (0,1). Finally, let Un be (1/n, 1-1/n). That is an open cover for G. Does it have a finite subcover?

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Not quite enough! "What I tell you three times is true" and you only said it twice!
what do you mean?

Sorry, that was a joke (based on a line by the famous mathematician Rev. Dodgson) in his poem "The hunting of the snark". I meant to continue and accidently posted it. I have editted it.

Probably the easiest way to disprove this theorem, would be to find a counter example.

The interval [0,1] is a topological space that has the Heine-Borrel property.

It follows that every closed and bounded subset of [0,1], is compact.

The interval (0,1) is an open subset of [0,1] that is not a closed subset of [0,1].

Therefore, (0,1) is not compact, and so there exists an open cover of (0,1) that has no finite subcover. This provides, I think, a counter-example to the claim.

Please let me know if I am mistaken.

Nevermind, HallsofIvy constructed one! Even better. Should the open cover be

(1-1/n, 1/n) though?

HallsofIvy said:
Not quite enough! "What I tell you three times is true" and you only said it twice!:rolleyes:

How does that result follow? An open cover of G is not necessarily an open cover of X nor can it always be extended to one. If G were closed in X, then its complement in X would be open add adding it to an open cover for G would give an open cover for X which is why a closed subset of a compact set is closed- but you can't do that for an open set. In particular, suppose X is the compact space [0, 1] with the usual metric on the real numbers (d(x,y)= |x -y|) Let G be (0,1). Finally, let Un be (1/n, 1-1/n). That is an open cover for G. Does it have a finite subcover?

thank you. i can understand that not every open cover in G has a finite some subcover

Related to Open subspace of a compact space

1. What is an open subspace of a compact space?

An open subspace of a compact space is a subset of a compact space that has the property of being open, meaning that every point in the subspace has a neighborhood contained within the subspace.

2. How is an open subspace different from a general subspace?

An open subspace is a specific type of subspace that has the additional property of being open. This means that it has a greater degree of connectedness and can have more well-defined properties than a general subspace.

3. What is the significance of studying open subspaces of compact spaces?

Open subspaces of compact spaces are important in topology and analysis because they allow us to study properties of a larger space in a more manageable and well-defined way. They also have important applications in fields such as geometry, physics, and engineering.

4. How do you prove that a subspace is open in a compact space?

To prove that a subspace is open in a compact space, you must show that every point in the subspace has a neighborhood contained within the subspace. This can be done by using the definitions of open and compact spaces, as well as the properties of neighborhoods and subsets.

5. Can a closed subspace also be an open subspace of a compact space?

No, a subspace cannot be both closed and open in a compact space. This is because a closed subspace contains all of its limit points, while an open subspace does not. Since a compact space must contain all of its limit points, a subspace cannot be both closed and open in a compact space.