Feyman Diagrams - Best book to read?

In summary, physics and calculus are hobbies for this IT Manager. He enjoys these topics but has a regular job and reads whatever he can get his hands on in regards to these topics while "burning the midnight oil." Not sure if he has landed on a personal favorite among quantum physics, classical physics, or relativity, but his college degree is in economics. This IT Manager is currently reading a book called "Quantum Gravity" by Smolin and thinks that he wants to delve into Feyman diagrams next. Thank you for your replies.
Simone_beet
Hello - Physics & calculus are what I can best describe as hobbies for me. Hobbies in the sense that I love these topics but work a regular job as an IT Manager through the day and then read whatever I can get my hands on in regards to these topics while 'burning the midnight oil'. Not sure if I have landed on a personal favorite among quantum physics, classical physics, or relativity. My college degree is in Economics. Interesting mix, I guess? None the less, on to my question for you: can someone recommend a good book that explains Feyman diagrams, how they grew out of the QED theory, and so on? I am currently reading a book called 'Quantum Gravity' - Smolin and think that I want to delve into these elusive Feyman diagrams next. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wot. No answers? You've upset them by getting the gurus name wrong :-)

Do a google search on "Feynman diagrams".

So that's the reason.:redface: I hadn't noticed before your reply. oops. :eek: My most humblest apologies to everyone and especially to the late & near-and-dear-to-our-physics-hearts, Richard Feynman. Possibly, I can further atone by quoting a passage from Nobel Laureate Julian Schwinger, in his obituary of Feynman in "Physics Today", February 1989 -- "So spoke an honest man; the outstanding intuitionist of our age and a prime example of what may lie in store for anyone who dares to follow the beat of a different drum." This was taken from a beginning set of pages in my copy of "Feynman's Rainbow" which is subtitled as a search for beauty in physics and in life. Light reading for those who are interested in the personal side of the genius. Thank you for your replies. p.s. I have been researching via watching recommended videos and the other internet sources.

Maybe "Deep Down Things: The Breathtaking Beauty of Particle Physics" Bruce A. Schumm?

Try amazon look inside to see if it has what you want.

I have browsed the Fermi-Lab website but didn't the SLAC website, as yet. Thank you for the tip. What I will also be scouting around for, too, is some insight into how the physicists look at the collector materials from a particle accelerator experiment and see a new 'flavor' or aspect of the various quarks or other sub-atomic guys. The news item on the SLAC sites homepage shows a team who have just (July 9, 2008) detected and measured "the lowest energy particle of the bottomonium family, called the ηb (pronounced eta-sub-b)". If I read far enough, it may describe the exact process or show a "road map on the scatter diagram":shy:

Eureka! Last few suggestions in the threads are appreciated. A real textbook, with exercises too, I suspect. hmmm? sounds intriguing. In browsing other threads, I see comments made in regards to reading about physics is one thing; doing exercises and working the problems of the physics world are quite another entirely. Interesting perspective and I agree and hadn't thought about it like that before. I am of the nature to gather all the facts and details before getting to the 'hands on' stage i.e. a by-product of my life in Information Systems world. So, I am in the 'read all about it stage' working to transition to the next 'now let's do it' stage. Here's the 60 million dollar question - what's considered too old in life to change gears and start through earning degree in physics and pursuing one's passion? Ok, I guess we'll consider that a rhetorical question. :wink: Peace

1. What are Feyman Diagrams?

Feyman Diagrams are graphical representations of mathematical equations used to describe the behavior of subatomic particles in quantum field theory.

2. Why are Feyman Diagrams important in science?

Feyman Diagrams allow scientists to visualize and understand complex mathematical equations that describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. They are essential tools in studying and predicting the behavior of particles in various physical processes.

3. How are Feyman Diagrams used in research?

Feyman Diagrams are used in a variety of research fields, including particle physics, nuclear physics, and quantum mechanics. They are used to calculate the probability of particle interactions and to predict the outcomes of experiments.

4. Can anyone learn to read and interpret Feyman Diagrams?

Yes, anyone with a basic understanding of quantum mechanics and mathematics can learn to read and interpret Feyman Diagrams. However, fully understanding and using them in research requires advanced knowledge and training in the field.

5. What is the best book to learn about Feyman Diagrams?

The best book to learn about Feyman Diagrams may vary depending on an individual's level of understanding and specific interests. Some popular options include "Feyman Diagram Techniques in Condensed Matter Physics" by Radi A. Jishi, "Quantum Field Theory for the Gifted Amateur" by Tom Lancaster and Stephen J. Blundell, and "Feyman Diagrams: A Primer" by Barry R. Holstein.