Books for Learning QCD & Above in Particle Physics

• Particle
  • Thread starter Wrichik Basu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Qcd
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking recommendations for a book on higher QCD in theoretical and experimental particle physics. The student mentions that they have basic knowledge up to QED and are looking for a book that can give them insight into higher QCD and also mentions some important experiments. They have already searched Google and checked out a few books, but are open to more suggestions.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I was studying Particle Physics by Palash B. Pal. It is a good book, but after some chapters, I felt it is becoming incomprehensible, and I need some other book(s) to learn from a different perspective. I believe this a very common thing with students, and everyone knows that no single book is complete.

I have some good basic knowledge up to QED. This includes quantization of scalar, fermion and gauge fields, Feynman rules, Yang-Mills theories and calculating cross-sections and decay rates (perhaps a bit shaky on the last one). I also know some bits of QCD, viz. the SU(3) of colour and some other trivial concepts.

I want a book that can give me insight into higher QCD. I am a bit bent towards experimental particle physics, so it would be great if the book also mentions some of the important experiments. The book doesn't have to start from scratch, i.e. it can start directly from QCD, and then delve into higher topics.

Before you advise me to search Google, I must say that I already did that. Among other results, it included this PF thread, which mentions two books, viz. T. Muta and F. J. Yndurain (see the answer by vanhees71). Any other good books that can be mentioned?

Please note that I do not want a book specializing in experimental particle physics, because those books often tend to avoid important discussions, while a book with only rigorous derivations of formulae is also not something I want. It would be best if the book is a balance between theoretical and experimental branches.

By the way, I already checked out Schwartz, but to be honest, I didn't like it much. Maybe later I will learn to appreciate it, but for now, it would be very helpful if any other book is suggested.

Special mention to @Orodruin, @Vanadium 50 and @vanhees71, because I learned that you guys are from theoretical particle physics. Of course, everyone is invited to put in their suggestions, and also why they like the book they are suggesting.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrichik Basu said:
I want a book that can give me insight into higher QCD. I am a bit bent towards experimental particle physics, so it would be great if the book also mentions some of the important experiments. The book doesn't have to start from scratch, i.e. it can start directly from QCD, and then delve into higher topics.
If you want to start from QCD, you might want to look at the pedagogical "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics A Practical Introduction Volume 2 Non-Abelian Gauge Theories QCD and The Electroweak Theory" by Aitchison and Hey, but you might also want to look at "Gauge Theories in Particle Physics A Practical Introduction Volume 1 From Relativistic Quantum Mechanics ro QED".

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu
Aitchison and Hey is pretty good. When I learned about QFT first, I also appreciated Bailin&Love very much. It's using the path-integral formulation from the very beginning.

• Informative
Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is QCD and why is it important in particle physics?

Quantum Chromodynamics (QCD) is a theory that describes the strong nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces in nature. It explains how quarks, the building blocks of protons and neutrons, interact with each other through the exchange of gluons. This theory is crucial in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and the structure of matter.

2. How can books about QCD and particle physics help me learn about these complex topics?

Books on QCD and particle physics provide a comprehensive and organized approach to learning about these topics. They often include explanations, diagrams, and mathematical equations that help readers understand the fundamental principles and theories. Additionally, these books often include real-world examples and applications, making the concepts more relatable and easier to grasp.

3. Are there any recommended books for beginners in QCD and particle physics?

Yes, there are several books that are recommended for beginners in QCD and particle physics. Some popular options include "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Michael Peskin and Daniel Schroeder, "The Standard Model in a Nutshell" by Dave Goldberg, and "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths. It is also helpful to consult with a physics professor or expert in the field for personalized recommendations.

4. Can these books also cover advanced topics in QCD and particle physics?

Yes, many books on QCD and particle physics are designed to cater to readers with varying levels of knowledge and understanding. They often include advanced topics such as quantum field theory, gauge theories, and the Standard Model. Some books also delve into cutting-edge research and developments in the field, making them suitable for advanced readers.

5. How can I use books on QCD and particle physics in my own research or experiments?

Books on QCD and particle physics can serve as valuable resources for researchers and scientists in the field. They can provide a foundation for understanding complex theories and equations, as well as offer insights and ideas for experiments and studies. Additionally, these books often include references and citations to other relevant research, allowing readers to further explore the topic and stay up-to-date with advancements in the field.