Extended Fermat's last theorem.

• Thread starter suyver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary: I think it is possible to find solutions - here's me reasonlet x=y=2 and let n,z be arbitrary2*2^n=x^ntake log_2 n+1=nlog_2(x)if you let x=3, then I the resulting n satisfying that equation might be large enough for your needs, but I've not worked it out.If it doesn't it at least tells you there are tricks you can pull to try and get an answer,and once you're allowed arbitrary n taking logs is allowed.I've not proved the qth roots of coprime numbers that aren't qth
suyver
"Extended" Fermat's last theorem.

Just to satisfy my own curiousity:

FLT states that there are no [itex]n\in{\mathbb N}[/itex] such that

[tex]x^n+y^n=z^n[/tex]

whenever [itex]n\geq 3[/itex] and [itex]x,y,z\in{\mathbb N}[/itex].

However, what would happen when I allow [itex]n[/itex] to be non-integer as well? Are there solutions if [itex]n\in{\mathbb Q}^+[/itex] or [itex]n\in{\mathbb R}^+[/itex] ? Will one be able to find a set [itex]x,y,z\in{\mathbb N}[/itex] and an [itex]n\geq 3[/itex] such that this "extended" FLT holds?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i think it is true that in general:
If x,y, and z are in N and p/q is a rational q not 1 and in lowest common terms then if x,y,z are coprime and not q'th powers the p/qth powers are linearly independent over Z.

proof in a simple example
if sqrt(x)+sqrt(y)=sqrt(z), then squaring both sides, sqrt(xy) is rational, which can't happen unless xy is a perfect square, contradicting the assumptions on 2nd powers and coprimality. of course if the numbers are 2nd powers then the question reduces to the usual fermat last theorem statement. the proof in the more general setting is messier.

there are of course trival cases sastifying your hypothesis such as 4,4,16 and 1/2 for x,y,z,n resp.

Originally posted by matt grime
i think it is true that in general:
If x,y, and z are in N and p/q is a rational q not 1 and in lowest common terms then if x,y,z are coprime and not q'th powers the p/qth powers are linearly independent over Z.

proof in a simple example
if sqrt(x)+sqrt(y)=sqrt(z), then squaring both sides, sqrt(xy) is rational, which can't happen unless xy is a perfect square, contradicting the assumptions on 2nd powers and coprimality. of course if the numbers are 2nd powers then the question reduces to the usual fermat last theorem statement. the proof in the more general setting is messier.

I'm still thinking about this part. It's quite hard for a non-mathematician... It seems to work for powers less than 1, but that wasn't my question (see below).

Originally posted by matt grime
there are of course trival cases sastifying your hypothesis such as 4,4,16 and 1/2 for x,y,z,n resp.

But I specifically stated [itex]n\geq 3[/itex], so your case does not apply as you have [itex]n=1/2[/itex]...

Edit: the only example that I could think of quickly, was x=y=z=1 and any n, but that's "cheating". So let's restrict x,y,z to be strictly larger than 1.

Last edited:
apologies for the incorrect counter example. but you did state fo n in Q+ or R too.

crappy argument removed

it suffices to consider only the case 1/q since if x,y,z are solutions for p/q then replacing them with x^p etc gives a solution for 1/q and the coprimality etc is preserved as p/q is in lowest terms. and there the only solutions are for qth powers, which implies a non-trival solution for u^p+v^p=w^p, which in turn implies p is 1 or 2.

Last edited:
OK, I think I understand your argument. Very beautifully done!

Thus, the result is that, for all [itex]n\in{\mathbb Q},\; n\geq 3[/itex]:

[tex]x^n+y^n\neq z^n[/tex]

if [itex]x,y,z\in{\mathbb N},\; x,y,z>1[/itex].

One final question: you've convinced me of the case where I can write [itex]n=p/q[/itex], but what of the case where [itex]n\in{\mathbb R},\; n\geq 3[/itex]? Does your argument hold there too?

I've got nothing on the general case for n a real number what so ever.

I think it is possible to find solutions - here's me reason

let x=y=2 and let n,z be arbitrary

2*2^n=x^n

take log_2

n+1=nlog_2(x)

if you let x=3, then I the resulting n satisfying that equation might be large enough for your needs, but I've not worked it out.

If it doesn't it at least tells you there are tricks you can pull to try and get an answer,and once you're allowed arbitrary n taking logs is allowed.

I've not proved the qth roots of coprime numbers that aren't qth powers are linearly independent over Z, but I'm very sure they are.

I had this thought over dinner.

Let me switch to different letters to make it more suggestive, and hopefully easier to understand.

fix p,q,r positive integers

consider the function

x ---> p^x+q^x-r^xfrom R to R.

evaluate at x=3.

if there is another x greater than three which has the opposite sign to the value at hree then it follows there is some x greater than 3 satisfying your requirements.

I think that by choosing p,q,r well you will find a postive answer.say p=q=4 r=5, then at three you get

64+64-125 >0

at 4 you get 256+256-625<0

so there is a point where the graph cuts the axis between x=3 and 4edit, actually it's easier to consider

(p/r)^x+(q/r)^x

where p,q and r are chosen so that the quantity above is greater than 1 at x=3, and then as x goes to infinity,as long as p,q<r the quantity goes to zero, hence there is some x where it equals 1.

Last edited:
Yes, that makes sense. I think it's really cool how you just prove that a solution must exist, without bothering to calculate a particular solution. That's clearly the intelligent way!

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me in such detail! (I didn't need the result for my work or anything, but I was very curious.)

1. What is Extended Fermat's last theorem?

Extended Fermat's last theorem is an extension of the original Fermat's last theorem, which states that there are no positive integer solutions to the equation x^n + y^n = z^n for n > 2. The extended theorem includes additional variables and a different set of exponents.

2. What is the significance of Extended Fermat's last theorem in mathematics?

Extended Fermat's last theorem is significant because it highlights the complexity and difficulty of solving certain types of equations. It also has connections to other areas of mathematics, such as number theory and algebraic geometry.

3. Who first proposed the Extended Fermat's last theorem?

The Extended Fermat's last theorem was first proposed by mathematician Pierre de Fermat in the 17th century. However, it was not until the 20th century that mathematicians began to study and prove the theorem.

4. Has Extended Fermat's last theorem been proven?

No, Extended Fermat's last theorem has not been proven. While some special cases have been solved, a general proof for all possible values of the variables and exponents has not been found.

5. Are there any applications of Extended Fermat's last theorem?

While the theorem itself does not have direct practical applications, the techniques and methods used in attempting to solve it have led to advancements in other areas of mathematics, such as elliptic curves and modular forms.