Manufacturing Processes for Unconventional Drilling

• Thread starter karven
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential consequences of rotating the drilling table in the opposite direction of the tool rotation. The assumption is that the axis of both are coinciding and the tolerance is minimal. The question also asks about the potential impact on tool wear, material removal rate, and heat dissipation. The response indicates that this may be a homework question and suggests considering the manufacturing process involved.
karven
What would happen if the drilling table (Workpiece mount) is rotated in the opposite side of the tool rotation (Workpiece rotates in CW direction and Tool in ACW direction)., Let me know in scientific terms

Assumption : The the axis of both are coinciding
Tolerance : Highly Minimal
Also tell me what would happen to the
1. Tool Wear
2. Material Removal rate
3. Heat Dissipation

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this your homework?

Cyrus said:
Is this your homework?

You people have always thought of Answerinf Quantity and Not Quality?
This is not my Homework.,,. The answer for your Qn,.,.,

karven said:

That's probably not the attitude to have when looking for help.

This definitely sounds like homework though. However, since you say it's not, you may get the benefit of the doubt. Do you have any thoughts on what the answers might be?

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374"

CS

Last edited by a moderator:
karven said:
You're just whimsically asking about tool wear and material removal rates? Give me a break. Anyone who has had any kind of manufacturing process class knows this is a homework question.

Post some initial thoughts of your own and you may get some help.

Assuming it is a homework question, I'll give you a hint toward thinking about an answer: What manufacturing process(es) would use such motion?

What is unconventional drilling?

Unconventional drilling, also known as hydraulic fracturing or fracking, is a process used to extract oil and gas from shale rock formations deep underground. It involves injecting a high-pressure mixture of water, sand, and chemicals into the shale rock, which fractures the rock and releases the trapped oil and gas.

How is unconventional drilling different from conventional drilling?

Conventional drilling involves drilling straight down into a well to extract oil and gas from reservoirs that are relatively easy to access. Unconventional drilling, on the other hand, involves drilling horizontally through layers of shale rock and using hydraulic fracturing to extract oil and gas from tight formations that would not be accessible through conventional methods.

What are the potential environmental impacts of unconventional drilling?

There are several potential environmental impacts of unconventional drilling, including groundwater contamination, air pollution, and the generation of large amounts of wastewater. There is also concern about the potential for earthquakes caused by the injection of wastewater into deep underground wells.

What are the benefits of unconventional drilling?

The main benefit of unconventional drilling is that it has significantly increased the production of oil and gas in the United States, making the country less reliant on foreign imports. It has also created jobs and boosted the economy in areas where drilling occurs.

What are the safety regulations for unconventional drilling?

Unconventional drilling is regulated by various federal and state agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Department of Energy (DOE). These regulations cover everything from well construction and wastewater disposal to air emissions and chemical disclosure. However, there is ongoing debate about the adequacy of these regulations and their effectiveness in protecting public health and the environment.