Black Holes and the Mysteries of r=0: Understanding the Concept of Infinity

• Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the conversation was about a program on TV discussing black holes and the use of the equation 1/r = 1/0 = infinity. The question was raised about whether this was undefined, to which it was clarified that it is more accurate to say as r approaches zero, the fraction approaches infinity. However, at r = 0, the function is meaningless.
iRaid
Ok so I was watching this program on TV and the guy ended up getting r=0

With this he put this value into the equation as so:
1/r = 1/0 = infinity

What is up with that? Isn't it undefined.

Also, this is about black holes.

Astronomy news on Phys.org

it's more proper, and correct, to say 1/r approaches infinity as r approaches zero.

Let me guess: Michio Kaku on 'Who's afraid of a big black hole' describing the equation that led to a singularity?. I remember I had the same question.

1/0 is undefined, anything divided by zero is undefined.
But, as AUK 1138 mentioned it is better said that as r tends towards a very small number ( i.e. gets closer and closer to zero ) the fraction will tend towarda bigger and bigger number ( i.e. tend towards infinity ). But at r = 0 the function is meaningless

Why didn't he just do that then rofl. Thanks guys :p

Related to Black Holes and the Mysteries of r=0: Understanding the Concept of Infinity

1. What is the meaning of "1/0 = infinity"?

This equation means that when a number (1) is divided by zero, the result is an infinitely large number, also known as infinity.

2. Is "1/0 = infinity" a valid mathematical equation?

No, it is not a valid mathematical equation because division by zero is undefined in mathematics. It is considered to be a mathematical error.

3. Why is division by zero undefined?

Division by zero is undefined because it leads to contradictory and nonsensical results. For example, if we have 10 cookies and we divide them equally among 0 people, each person would get an infinite number of cookies, which is not possible in reality.

4. Can "1/0 = infinity" be used in real-life situations?

No, this equation cannot be used in real-life situations because division by zero is not possible in the real world. It is a concept that only exists in mathematics.

5. Can any number divided by zero equal infinity?

No, only certain numbers divided by zero will equal infinity. For example, 2/0, 10/0, and -5/0 will all equal infinity, but 0/0 will not. This is because 0 divided by 0 is an indeterminate form, meaning that the answer cannot be determined without additional information.