Ohmic junction in Cat's-whisker detector

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of creating an ohmic junction on wafers in a clean room and the tendency for a Schottky barrier to form instead. The speaker then questions how ancient detectors were able to function with just "clamping" the crystal with setscrews. The response is that clamping is a brute-force method to make ohmic contacts, but it is not always reliable. The conversation also mentions the different methods used to create ohmic contacts, such as depositing an Au film and using silver adhesive or preparing with an indium electrode. The importance of low resistance and reliable contacts in production is also mentioned.
wasia
Hello,

I have read (wiki and physicsforums besides other sources) about how preparing an ohmic junction is hard on wafers in the clean room and that usually one gets a Schottky barrier instead, if one is not careful enough. This makes me wonder, how come that people used to get an ohmic contact on the ancient"[URL detector[/URL] by just "clamping (the crystal) with setscrews" ?

Or if I am wrong with my assumptions and it is not an ohmic contact, just a random collection of p-n junctions, why does the device work at all?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Technically, only one contact should be rectifying (the springy one). The other should be ohmic. Clamping down is a sort of brute-force way to make ohmics. You have a very large area and the surface gets ground up which removes the surface layer (oxide or whatever). Eventually, electrons might find an ohmic or quasi-ohmic path. And if it doesn't work, you wiggle it some more. But in some cases, you will never get a properly ohmic contact. It depends on the material, doping, etc.

And I'm pretty sure the specs were much lower then. They could live with higher-resistance contacts, as long as they were more or less linear. Now we need the contacts to have a low resistance and work reliably every time (especially in production).

Last edited:
I suggest a method usually used in our experiment.

Depositing Au film on the sample first, and then you have 2 choices:
1. sticking the detecting wire by sliver adhesive.
2. preparation with the indium electrode.

1. What is an Ohmic junction in a Cat's-whisker detector?

An Ohmic junction in a Cat's-whisker detector is a type of electrical connection between two different materials that exhibits linear resistance. In this case, it refers to the point where the cat's whisker (a thin wire) makes contact with the semiconductor crystal in the detector.

2. How does an Ohmic junction work in a Cat's-whisker detector?

The Ohmic junction allows for the flow of current from the cat's whisker to the semiconductor crystal, creating a diode-like effect. This allows the detector to convert the radio frequency signal into an audio signal.

3. What is the purpose of the Ohmic junction in a Cat's-whisker detector?

The Ohmic junction is essential for the functioning of a Cat's-whisker detector. It acts as a rectifier, allowing the detector to convert alternating current (AC) into direct current (DC) and extract the audio signal from the radio frequency signal.

4. Can the Ohmic junction in a Cat's-whisker detector be adjusted?

Yes, the Ohmic junction can be adjusted by changing the pressure of the cat's whisker on the semiconductor crystal. This allows for fine-tuning of the detector and better reception of specific radio frequencies.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ohmic junction in a Cat's-whisker detector?

Yes, the Ohmic junction can be sensitive to changes in temperature and pressure, which can affect its performance. It also has a limited frequency range, making it suitable for only certain types of radio signals.