Calculating Water Evaporation from Clay Pots

In summary, The person, named Crowed, is seeking help with understanding a phenomenon in which the temperature inside a small clay pot decreases after making the sand inside it wet. They have formed an explanation involving the evaporation of water molecules, but are unsure how to calculate the temperature. They mention needing to calculate the chance of speed distribution and the speed for evaporation, but do not have enough knowledge to do so. Additionally, they mention that the small pot has no thermocontact with air. They are grateful for any help and apologize for their English.
KeKe29
hello, i am crowed and i need help,
first of all i am thankful for every help,
terms are : i have 2 clay pot 1 small and 1 big one, on picture black sticks are pot, the small one is inside the big one and empty space is filled with sand, i am making this sand wet and after some minutes next temperature inside small pot is going down, i have to explain this effect why this happens and make some calculations.
i have formed explanation that : water molecules have different speed and some of them has enough energy to evaporate and leave sand, after this sand is getting cold because high energy molecules are leaving sand. this is general explanation but how i told i am crowed in calculation, i want to calculate T(t)=? T-temperature inside small pot and t - time after making sand wet,
i have way but i have no enough knowledge to calculate it, first of all we have to calculate chance of speed distribution (maxwell-boltzman distribution) integral from this function will be chance of speed distribution, but we have to calculate speed for Z vector, after this we have to multiplication chance on number of water molecules which are able to leave sand and they have on this distance l=VevaporationXt V-speed for evaporation and t - time, after this i can't resume if u can help me to calculate T(t) we have any information about sand, water, pots and everything what you need, maybe i am wrong and please help me to calculate this, anyway i am thankful for every help.

and sorry for my bad english. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
basic picture

i miss one thing that small pot has no thermocontact with air

Attachments

• eke.png
    eke.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 471

1. How do clay pots affect water evaporation?

Clay pots are porous, meaning they have tiny holes in their surface that allow water to slowly evaporate. This evaporation process is known as transpiration and is affected by factors such as temperature, humidity, and the type of clay used in the pot.

2. What factors affect the rate of water evaporation from clay pots?

The rate of water evaporation from clay pots is influenced by several factors, including the material and thickness of the pot, the surface area of the pot, the temperature and humidity of the surrounding environment, and the type and amount of water in the pot.

3. How can I calculate the amount of water evaporation from a clay pot?

To calculate the amount of water evaporation from a clay pot, you will need to measure the initial amount of water in the pot and the final amount of water after a certain period of time. The difference between these two measurements will give you the amount of water that has evaporated. You can also use a formula that takes into account factors such as the surface area and temperature to get a more accurate calculation.

4. Can I use clay pots to slow down the evaporation of water?

Yes, clay pots can help slow down the evaporation of water due to their porous nature. The tiny holes in the pot's surface create a barrier that allows water to slowly evaporate, rather than quickly evaporating into the surrounding environment. This can be beneficial for plants that require consistent moisture, as it helps to retain water in the soil.

5. Are there any other benefits to using clay pots for water evaporation?

Aside from slowing down the evaporation of water, using clay pots for watering plants can also help regulate the moisture levels in the soil. The porous nature of clay pots allows for better drainage and aeration, which can benefit plant growth. Additionally, clay pots are more environmentally friendly than plastic pots, as they are biodegradable and can be reused multiple times.