Dissipation of Power by Resistors

Keep it up.In summary, to calculate the power dissipated by each resistor, you first need to find the total resistance by adding the individual resistances (Rtotal). Then, use Ohm's Law (I=V/R) to find the current passing through the resistors. Finally, use the formula P=I2R to calculate the power for each resistor. The power dissipated by resistor 1 is 48/25, and the power dissipated by resistor 2 is 72/25 or 2.88.
cwesto

Homework Statement

untitled.jpg

Homework Equations

P=IV
I=V/R
P=(V/R)V
R=V2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

PR1: 122/12=12
PR2: 144/18

I'm not sure what to do from here. Thanks for any input and help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe start with how much current is passing through the resistors?

Your attempt incorrectly tried to use the total Voltage of the supply across the resistors singly. The question wants to know the power dissipated by each resistor.

Once you have the current then won't the power for any resistor be P = I2R ?

I=V/R
Rtotal=12+18
I=12/30
PR1=RI2
PR1=12*[tex]\frac{2}{5}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{2}{5}[/tex]
PR1=48/25

PR2=[tex]\frac{72}{25}[/tex]=2.88
Thanks!

cwesto said:
I=V/R
Rtotal=12+18
I=12/30
PR1=RI2
PR1=12*[tex]\frac{2}{5}[/tex]*[tex]\frac{2}{5}[/tex]
PR1=48/25

PR2=[tex]\frac{72}{25}[/tex]=2.88
Thanks!

There you go. Good job.

1. What is dissipation of power by resistors?

The dissipation of power by resistors refers to the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy when an electric current passes through a resistor. This heat energy is a result of the resistance of the material in the resistor to the flow of electrons.

2. How does the power dissipation by resistors affect the circuit?

The power dissipation by resistors can affect the circuit in several ways. It can cause the resistor to heat up, which can change its resistance and potentially damage the component. It can also cause a voltage drop across the resistor, which can affect the overall performance of the circuit. Additionally, the dissipation of power can cause a decrease in the overall efficiency of the circuit.

3. What factors affect the dissipation of power by resistors?

The dissipation of power by resistors can be affected by several factors, including the resistance value, the current flowing through the resistor, and the temperature of the resistor. The type of material and the physical size of the resistor can also affect its power dissipation.

4. How can the dissipation of power by resistors be calculated?

The dissipation of power by resistors can be calculated using the formula P = I^2 * R, where P is the power dissipation in watts, I is the current in amperes, and R is the resistance in ohms. This formula is known as Joule's law and can be used to determine the amount of heat energy being dissipated by a resistor.

5. How can the dissipation of power by resistors be reduced?

The dissipation of power by resistors can be reduced by using resistors with higher power ratings, which can handle more heat without getting damaged. Additionally, using resistors with lower resistance values can also help reduce power dissipation. Proper heat sinking and ventilation can also help dissipate the heat generated by resistors.