How can I set proper limits for a double integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the volume of a bounded space using a double integral. The individual shares their approach to the problem and asks for assistance with setting the limits of integration correctly. The expert provides feedback and corrects a small mistake in the integration, resulting in a final answer of 6.
mkkrnfoo85
*This was accidently posted in the 'Calculus & Analysis' section. Moderators can delete that one. Sorry.*

I took a test today. I wanted to know if I set my limits up correctly and got the right answer, because I've been having problems with that. Okay, here is the question:

A space is bounded by x = 0, y = 0, xy-plane, and the plane: 3x + 2y + z = 6. Find the volume using a double integral.

So, this is how I went about the problem...

Since the space is bounded by the xy-plane, I set z = 0 for the plane. This gave me:

[tex]3x + 2y = 6, y = \frac{-3x+6}{2}[/tex]

That's just an equation of a line, so I plotted that on the xy-plane.

At x = 0, y = 3 (0,3)
At y = 0, x = 2 (2,0)

This is the hard part for me...setting limits. I got:

[tex]0\leq x\leq 2[/tex]

and

[tex]\frac{-3x+6}{2}\leq y\leq 0[/tex]
(hopefully)

*sidenote: If it's wrong, would someone like to show me a simple strategy to setting limits? Also, if there's anything else you could do to help me set limits on integration, that would be really helpful.

To go on with the problem, my resulting double integral was:

[tex]\int_{x=0}^{x=2} \int_{y= \frac{-3x+6}{2}}^{y=0} (-3x-2y+6)dydx[/tex]

integrating with respect to y first, I got:

[tex]\int_{x=0}^{x=2} (-\frac{9}{4} x^2 + 9x-18)dx[/tex]

resulting in answer = 9

**Main questions:

1) Are my limits of integration set correctly?
2) Is my resulting answer correct?

Thanks for reviewing.

-Mark

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump. i would really like some help on this.

You have your y limits backward. The lowest possible value of y is zero and the value of y calculated from the line equation ranges from 0 to 3 for the allowed values of x.

You made a small mistake in the y integration, the -18 should be -9. Although the answer is still 9.

The answer with the correct y limit order is 6.

What is the Double Integral Test?

The Double Integral Test is a mathematical test used to determine the convergence or divergence of improper integrals. It is based on the comparison between a given integral and a corresponding double integral, which is easier to evaluate.

How does the Double Integral Test work?

The Double Integral Test states that if the double integral of a function is convergent, then the original improper integral is also convergent. Similarly, if the double integral is divergent, then the original improper integral is also divergent. This test is based on the idea that if a double integral is easier to evaluate and still converges, then the original integral must also converge.

When should the Double Integral Test be used?

The Double Integral Test should be used when dealing with improper integrals that are difficult to evaluate by other methods, such as the Comparison Test or the Limit Comparison Test. It is also useful for determining the convergence or divergence of integrals involving trigonometric functions.

What are the limitations of the Double Integral Test?

The Double Integral Test can only be used for improper integrals with positive integrands. It is also not applicable for integrals with limits of integration at infinity. Additionally, the double integral used for comparison must be easier to evaluate than the original integral.

Can the Double Integral Test be used for series?

No, the Double Integral Test is only applicable for improper integrals. To determine the convergence or divergence of a series, other tests such as the Ratio Test or the Root Test must be used.