Can a 2m Linac Accelerate Electrons to 1.5MeV for Positron Production?

• Thread starter Pseudo Epsilon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of building a small-scale linac to accelerate electrons and potentially produce positrons through pair production. The use of electrostatic acceleration, target materials such as tungsten or gold, and potential safety concerns are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a reminder that this type of experiment is dangerous and not allowed to be discussed on the platform.
Pseudo Epsilon
Hi all, this is my first time posting.

This may seem too vauge but could a 2m long linac accelerating electrons (with electron gun as source) achive 1.5MeV? I.e. Could it make positrons via pair production? (0.511MeV For electron same for positron plus a litle extra to be safe) asuming it uses quadropole and sextupole magnets (copper) liquid nitrogen cooled. Electrostaticly acelerated via muliple staged electrodes (max voltage=~100 000v). Thanx to you geniuses in advace

Physics news on Phys.org
The 2-mile long linac you may be speaking of was the one at SLAC, which achieved 90 GeV center-of-mass energy.

i meant two meters. 1.5 Mev posible using only electrostatic aceleration?

Sorry, my mistake. You're actually thinking of building a table-top linac?? Good luck generating and storing the positrons. Good luck getting the beams to collide. And don't forget to watch out for the radiation produced when the beams hit the backstop!

1.5 MeV with 2 meters of separation is possible with electrostatic acceleration (but 3-4m would be easier), and you can use the 1.5MeV-electrons to do pair production afterwards. Focusing is neither necessary nor practical with such a small setup, I think. You just need a good insulation and a Van-de-Graaff generator. If you want to do something with the positrons, the setup will grow.

thanks! I wasn't planning to do anything with the positrons yet. Thanks for not being harsh. If i may ask what target should i use and could i detect the positrons?

oh, and could i use a flyback transformer coupled to a cfl circuit instead of a van de graff generator?

As target: probably something where the electrons can produce high-energetic photons, and those can be converted to electron/positron pairs afterwards - a material with heavy nuclei? Gold is expensive, lead is toxic.
I wasn't planning to do anything with the positrons yet.
This is nothing you should do at home. It is very dangerous, and probably illegal.

i will check with my local police station. But is there any cheap way to confirm positrons have been produced? And how about tungsten for a target?

i will check with my local police station.
The police station won't tell you how to avoid getting killed, or injured.
But is there any cheap way to confirm positrons have been produced?
There is. If you know enough to build such a device safely, you will know the answer to that question.

but a device with a 100% acuracy that only detects positrons? And by the way, i always do my research once i know what to research. I am familiar with high voltage safty as i have built a jacobs ladder and tesla coil in the past. I do already have lead-impregnated glass for the hard radiation from a recycling company.

so if you could just tell me the name of the detector needed. Please.

Pseudo Epsilon -- We do not allow discussions of dangerous activities here on the PF. This thread is closed. Please do not ask questions like this here again.

1. Can a 2m Linac accelerate electrons to 1.5MeV for positron production?

Yes, a 2m Linac can accelerate electrons to 1.5MeV for positron production. In fact, Linear Accelerators (Linacs) are commonly used in many fields of science and medicine to accelerate particles, including electrons, to high energies for various applications.

2. How does a Linac accelerate electrons?

A Linac uses a series of electrically charged metal tubes, called accelerating cavities, to create an alternating electric field that accelerates the electrons. As the electrons pass through each cavity, they gain more and more energy until they reach the desired energy level.

3. What is the significance of 1.5MeV in positron production?

1.5MeV is a commonly used energy level for positron production because it is the minimum energy required to create positrons (the antimatter counterpart of electrons) through a process called pair production. This energy level ensures that enough energy is available to create positrons with high efficiency.

4. Are there any other methods to produce positrons besides using a Linac?

Yes, there are other methods to produce positrons, such as using a cyclotron or a synchrotron. These machines also accelerate particles, but in a circular path rather than a linear path like a Linac.

5. What are the potential applications of positron production using a 2m Linac?

Positrons produced using a 2m Linac can be used in various applications, such as in medical imaging techniques like positron emission tomography (PET) scans, or in scientific research to study the behavior of particles and materials. Positrons can also be used in industrial applications, such as in the production of electronic components.

Back