Current velocities of planets?

In summary, the speaker is working on a simulation of the solar system for a physics class and needs the velocity of the planets. They plan to use Kepler's laws and ask JPL Horizons system for positions and velocities of solar system objects. They also mention a website for learning about Kepler's laws and express gratitude for the helpful information.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm writing up a simple simulation of the solar system for my computer simulations in physics class, which you can see at myweb.dal.ca/cr376499 (java applet)

Now, I have the correct position data for the planets thanks to a website giving them relative to Earth for telescope users. What I need is the velocity of the planets now.

Where can I find this? Do I have to just plot the positions over time and figure it out using math?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Write an e-mail to JPL Horizons system asking for the positions and velocities of any solar system object relative to any other solar system object at any given time. Use the template below. Make sure that your STOP TIME is 1 s after your START TIME.
Center = '@###'
Command = '###'

Center is the object you're referencing your positions and velocities against. Command is the object you want data for.

ID's: 199 = Mercury, 299 = Venus, 399 = Earth... 999 = Pluto, etc.
301 = 1st Moon of Earth, 401 = 1st Moon of Mars, 402 = 2nd moon of Mars, etc.
010 = Sun

So for example, the following e-mail asks for Mercury's (199) position and velocity relative to the Sun (010)

Address the e-mail to horizons@ssd.jpl.nasa.gov
Put the word job in the subject line.
Code:
!$$SOF
EMAIL_ADDR=''
START_TIME = '2006-Mar-13 17:30:58'
STOP_TIME = '2006-Mar-13 17:30:59'
TABLE_TYPE = 'Vector'
REF_PLANE = 'Ecliptic'
CENTER = '@010'
COMMAND='199'
!$$EOF

JPL's response e-mail, usually instant, gives you lots of data. Search for this:

Code:
$$SOE
2453808.229837963 = A.D. 2006-Mar-13 17:30:58.0000 (CT)
  [b]-5.730179611929864E+07  1.963895677831354E+06  5.419068833578369E+06
  -1.179887453107446E+01 -4.658790336366766E+01 -2.723342317439528E+00[/b]
   1.921027750084662E+02  5.759096310840907E+07  9.894693725010404E+00
$$EOE
Notice the 6 numbers I've highlighted. They are the x,y &z positions of Mercury with respect to the Sun, and the x,y,& z velocities of Mercury with respect to the Sun. The 8th of those 9 numbers is the actual Mercury/Sun distance, which you can also compute with d2=x2+y2+z2

tony873004 said:
Write an e-mail to JPL Horizons system asking for the positions and velocities of any solar system object relative to any other solar system object at any given time.

That is FANTASTIC. Thank you!

1. What factors influence the current velocities of planets?

The current velocities of planets are influenced by several factors, including the mass and distance of the planet from the Sun, the gravitational pull of nearby planets, and the shape and orientation of the planet's orbit. Other factors such as the presence of a moon or the effects of solar winds can also have an impact on a planet's velocity.

2. How do scientists measure the current velocities of planets?

Scientists use a variety of methods to measure the current velocities of planets. One common method is to track the planet's movement across the night sky over a period of time and use this data to calculate its velocity. Another method involves using spacecraft and probes to directly measure the planet's velocity in relation to the Sun or other celestial bodies.

3. How do the current velocities of planets affect their orbits?

The current velocities of planets play a crucial role in determining the shape and stability of their orbits. Planets with higher velocities tend to have more elliptical orbits, while slower-moving planets have more circular orbits. The gravitational pull of other planets and objects in the solar system can also influence a planet's velocity, leading to changes in its orbit over time.

4. Are the current velocities of planets constant?

No, the current velocities of planets are not constant. While the overall average velocity of a planet may remain relatively stable over time, there can be fluctuations and variations in its velocity due to various factors such as gravitational interactions with other objects or changes in the planet's position in its orbit. However, these changes are often very small and difficult to detect.

5. How do the current velocities of planets impact their climates and weather patterns?

The current velocities of planets can have a significant impact on their climates and weather patterns. The rotation of a planet and its speed around the Sun can affect its temperature, atmospheric conditions, and the distribution of sunlight and heat across its surface. Changes in velocity can also lead to shifts in weather patterns, such as the formation of storms and atmospheric disturbances.