Time difference in projectile motion

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the time difference between two objects, m1 and m2, thrown from the same place with different angles and the same initial velocity, in order for them to meet in space. The conversation includes equations and algebraic manipulations to find the time difference.
asdf1
Q: m1 and m2 are thrown separately with an angle of [tex]\theta1[/tex] and [tex]\theta2[/tex] respectively from the same place from the ground. They both have the same initial velocity, V. How long should the time difference be if m1 and m2 are to meet in space?

My work:

For m1:
x1=Vcos[tex]\theta[/tex]1*t1
y1=Vsin[tex]\theta1[/tex]*t1-0.5g[tex]t1^2[/tex]

For m2:
x2=Vcos[tex]\theta2[/tex]*t2
y2=Vsin[tex]\theta2[/tex]*t2-0.5g[tex]t2^2[/tex]

Therefore,
x1=x2
=>Vcos[tex]\theta1[/tex]*t1=Vcos[tex]\theta2[/tex]*t2
=>t1/t2=cos[tex]\theta2[/tex]/cos[tex]\theta1[/tex]*t2

And
y1=y2
=>Vsin[tex]\theta1[/tex]*t1-0.5g[tex]t1^2[/tex]=Vsin[tex]\theta2[/tex]*t2-0.5g[tex]t2^2[/tex]

=>V[sin[tex]\theta1[/tex]*t1-sin[tex]\theta2[/tex]*t2]=0.5g[tex]t1^2[/tex]-[tex]t2^2[/tex]

=>V[(sin[tex]\theta1[/tex]*cos[tex]\theta2[/tex]/cos[tex]\theta1[/tex])1)] =0.5g[cos[tex]\theta2^2[/tex]*[tex]t2^2[/tex]/cos[tex]\theta1[/tex]]

=>2V[(sin[tex]\theta1[/tex]*cos[tex]\theta2[/tex]-cos[tex]\theta1[/tex])/cos[tex]\theta1[/tex])]/g=t2*[cos[tex]\theta2^2[/tex]-cos[tex]\theta1^2[/tex]]/cos[tex]\theta1^2[/tex]]

=> t2=2V*[sin[tex]\theta1[/tex]*cos[tex]\theta2[/tex]]*cos[tex]\theta1/tex]/[g*(cos[tex]\theta2^2[/tex]-cos[tex]\theta1^2[/tex])

so
t1= t2=2V*[sin[tex]\theta1/tex]*cos[tex]\theta2[/tex]]*cos[tex]\theta1/tex]/[g*(cos[tex]\theta2^2[/tex]-cos[tex]\theta1^2[/tex])*cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

but t2-t1 doesn't equal the book's answer:
2vsin[tex]\theta1-\theta2[/ex]/{g(cos[tex]\theta1[/tex]+cos[tex]\theta2/tex]}

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equations you wrote are quite hard to read, I'll try anyways.

Certainly t1 = t2 cannot hold or the masses would've been thrown at the same time.

Instead of your equations (I'll use O for theta)
eg. x1 = vt1cos(O1),
try the following:
x1 = v(t - t1)cos(O1)

I ended up with a huge equation for t2 - t1, but (with the help of Maple :smile:) I managed to reduce it to your book's answer.

why t-t1?
agh... i made a mistake with my typing! it's t1/t2 not t1=t2...
sorry about that!

t1 here is a constant. It therefore represents the instant (t = t1) the mass 1 is thrown.

You are left with only one timevariable t, which is equal in all equations.

Another way you could do it, is to set a constant
[tex]\Delta t = t_2 - t_1[/tex]
This is pretty much equivalent to the stuff with t - t1

Using two independent time variables, t1 and t2 is first of all physically difficult to comprehend. Also, this way you fail to use the information that the masses must be at the spot (x0, y0) at the same time.

By the way, you've made a mistake with the first t1/t2 equation, there shouldn't be a t2 on the right hand side of the equation.

asdf1 said:
Q: m1 and m2 are thrown separately with an angle of [tex]\theta1[/tex] and [tex]\theta2[/tex] respectively from the same place from the ground. They both have the same initial velocity, V. How long should the time difference be if m1 and m2 are to meet in space?

My work:

For m1:
x1=Vcos[tex]\theta[/tex]1*t1
y1=Vsin[tex]\theta1[/tex]*t1-0.5g[tex]t1^2[/tex]

For m2:
x2=Vcos[tex]\theta2[/tex]*t2
y2=Vsin[tex]\theta2[/tex]*t2-0.5g[tex]t2^2[/tex]

Therefore,
x1=x2
=>Vcos[tex]\theta1[/tex]*t1=Vcos[tex]\theta2[/tex]*t2
=>t1/t2=cos[tex]\theta2[/tex]/cos[tex]\theta1[/tex]*t2

And
y1=y2
=>[tex] Vsin\theta_1 t_1-0.5g t_1^2 =Vsin \theta_2 t_2-0.5g t_2^2[/tex]

=>[tex] V (sin\theta_1 t_1-sin \theta_2 *t2 )=0.5g (t_1^2-t_2^2)[/tex]

=>[tex] V( { sin\theta_1*cos\theta_2 \over cos\theta_1}1) =0.5g{cos\theta_2^2 t_2^2 \over cos\theta_1} [/tex]
I cleaned up a bit the equations (suggestions: do not break the eqs into pieces enclosed with tex tags and pieces in normal format, put everything in one single tex quote. Also, use the underscore symbol for indices like 1 and 2)

I don't understand how you got to that last line. I am not sure what the "1" sy,bl by itself means, but even if it is t1 or t1^2, the equation is wrong. Starting from that line the algebra does not seem to make sense.

What you must do is express everywhere in the above equation t1 in terms of t2 (or vice versa) using the equation you got from the x axis. then you get
[tex]
V t_2 ( {sin \theta_1 cos \theta_2 \over cos \theta_1} - sin \theta_2) = {1\over 2} g t_2^2 ({cos^2 \theta_2 \over cos^2 \theta_1}-1) [/tex]
Isolating t2 you should be able to show that you get (after a bit of algebra)
[tex] t_2 = {2 V \over g} {(sin \theta_1 cos \theta_2 - sin \theta_2 cos \theta_1 ) cos \theta_1 \over cos^2 \theta_2 - cos^2 \theta_1 } [/tex]
Then you can find t1 and subtract the two expressions. Notice that [itex] cos^2 \theta_2 - cos^2 \theta_1 = (cos \theta_2 + cos \theta_1) (cos \theta_2 - cos \theta_1) [/itex] which will prove useful in getting the final answer.

Patrick

Last edited:
ok!
thank you very much! ^_^

What is time difference in projectile motion?

Time difference in projectile motion refers to the difference in the time it takes for an object to travel from one point to another in a projectile motion. This is affected by factors such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

How does air resistance affect time difference in projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the time difference in projectile motion. This is because it acts as a force opposing the motion of the object, slowing it down and reducing the distance it can travel.

What happens to time difference in projectile motion when initial velocity is increased?

When the initial velocity of an object in projectile motion is increased, the time difference also increases. This is because the object is able to travel a greater distance in the same amount of time due to its higher initial speed.

Is there a relationship between angle of launch and time difference in projectile motion?

Yes, there is a direct relationship between the angle of launch and time difference in projectile motion. The higher the angle of launch, the longer the object will stay in the air and the greater the time difference will be.

How can time difference in projectile motion be calculated?

Time difference in projectile motion can be calculated using the equation t = (2V0sinθ)/g, where t is the time difference, V0 is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes no air resistance.