Graph of function of 2 variables

In summary, every point on the X-Y plane is mapped to the "surface" by a translation along the Z-axis. The value of the translation depends on the result of f(x, y). Similarly in 2-D, every point on the X-axis is mapped to a "curve" by a translation in the Y-direction. The value of the translation depends on f(x). The graph of function of 3 variables f(x,y,z) is a surface with thickness?No. f(x,y,z) is a more general case of z=f(x,y). Consider 2 dimensions first. y=f(x) gives a curve with a few interesting properties
jahlin
if a function is definied by z=f(x,y)..the graph of the function is a surface without thickness right ?i can't really differentiate between a 3d and 2d graph..both look like surfaces.

Physics news on Phys.org
Provided all the numbers are real, yes. Every point on the X-Y plane is mapped to the "surface" by a translation along the Z-axis. The value of the translation depends on the result of f(x, y).

Similarly in 2-D, every point on the X-axis is mapped to a "curve" by a translation in the Y-direction. The value of the translation depends on f(x).

the graph of function of 3 variables f(x,y,z) is a surface with thickness?

No. f(x,y,z) is a more general case of z=f(x,y).

Consider 2 dimensions first. y=f(x) gives a curve with a few interesting properties, one of which is called one-to-one correspondence. That means that you can draw a vertical line anywhere on your graph, and it will cross the curve exactly once. (The same need not be true for a horizontal line.)

If I relax that restriction and re-arrange the equation, I can write f(x,y)=const (still in 2D here). This still gives me a curve, but I don't have the one-to-one correspondence anymore.

For example, x^2 + y^2 = 1 is the equation for a unit circle. That is, all the (x,y) pairs which satisfy that equation lie on a circle centered at origin with unity radius.

Now extend the thinking to 3D. Unsurprisingly, x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 1 is the equation for a sphere centered at origin and with unity radius. This is an equation in 3 variables of the form f(x, y, z) = const. If we were to rewrite that equation in the form z = f(x, y), we would see that f(x, y) = sqrt(x^2 + y^2). This equation has two solutions; one for the "top half" of the sphere, and one for the "bottom half". That is because the square root function is ambiguous: say y=sqrt(x), then x^2=y, but also (-x)^2=y.

So it is the same difference in 2D and 3D. You can draw a line anywhere, so long as it's parallel to the z-axis and it will intersect the surface exactly once in the case of z=f(x,y). No so if f(x,y,z)=const. We relax the correspondence rule and can get all sorts of wild shapes.

as you said every point on the X-Y plane is mapped to the "surface" by a translation along the Z-axis.
what abt the graph of 3d every point is mapped to a surface by a translation along what axis?

That is in 3D.

In 2D, an x-value (a magnitude, strictly speaking) is mapped onto a curve by a translation along the Y-axis.
In 3D, an x-y pair (a point) is mapped onto a surface by a translation along the Z-axis.

There is no notion of a surface in 2D, only points and curves. A surface is strictly a 3D concept.

jahlin said:
if a function is definied by z=f(x,y)..the graph of the function is a surface without thickness right ?i can't really differentiate between a 3d and 2d graph..both look like surfaces.

What do you mean by "3d graph" and "2d graph"? Are you referring to the dimension of the object itself or the dimension of the coordinate system it is graphed in? A surface is a two dimensional object that (unless it happens to be a plane) must be graphed in three dimensions.

Since z= f(x,y) has two independent variables and one dependent, its graph is a two dimensional surface graphed in a three dimensional coordinate system.

I was confusing the dimensions of an object with the graph. I understood it now. Thanks HallsofIvy and playaone1 for clarifying.

1. What is a graph of a function of 2 variables?

A graph of a function of 2 variables is a visual representation of how the output of a function changes with respect to two independent variables. It is typically represented on a 2-dimensional plane where one axis represents the first variable and the other axis represents the second variable.

2. How do you interpret a graph of a function of 2 variables?

To interpret a graph of a function of 2 variables, you can look at the points on the graph and see how the function changes as the values of the two variables change. This can give you insights into the relationship between the variables and how they affect the output of the function.

3. What are the different types of graphs for functions of 2 variables?

The most common types of graphs for functions of 2 variables are contour plots, surface plots, and scatter plots. Contour plots show curves of constant output values, surface plots show the function as a 3-dimensional surface, and scatter plots show individual data points on a 2-dimensional plane.

4. How do you create a graph of a function of 2 variables?

To create a graph of a function of 2 variables, you first need to define the function and the values of the two variables. Then, you can plot the points on a graph using the appropriate type of graph (contour, surface, or scatter plot). There are also software programs and graphing calculators that can help you create these graphs.

5. What can a graph of a function of 2 variables tell us about the function?

A graph of a function of 2 variables can provide information about the behavior of the function, such as its minimum and maximum values, its rate of change, and any relationships between the two variables. It can also help us visualize the function and make predictions about its behavior in different scenarios.