• Start date
  • Tags
    equation
pairofstrings
TL;DR Summary
2D equation:
##x^2 y^2 + x^2 y + x y =1##
Hi.
If I write any random equation in 2D then the graph undoubtedly shows up on that 2D graphing system.
Equation example: ##x^2 y^2 + x^2 y + x y =1##

My question is: if I take the same equation: ##x^2 y^2 + x^2 y + x y =1## and if I manipulate the equation by including another variable ##'z'## in the equation like this: ##x^2 y^2 z+ x^2 y z^2+ x y z =1## then why is the 3D graph not showing up on that 3D graphing system?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
pairofstrings said:
then the graph undoubtedly shows up on that 2D graphing system
What are you talking about ? What 2D graphing system ? Any visual examples ?

pairofstrings said:
then why is the 3D graph not showing up on that 3D graphing system?
Perhaps because "that" system has no telepathic capabilities ? What so you expect to see ?

##\ ##

pairofstrings said:
why is the 3D graph not showing up on that 3D graphing system?
BvU is right: you need to specify what "graphing system" you're asking about.

For example, Mathematica's ContourPlot and ContourPlot3D easily handle your 2D and 3D examples:
Graphs.jpg

• Informative
Likes berkeman
Hi.
Sorry for not using math words. By saying 2D and 3D graphing system I mean 2D and 3D coordinate system.

In GeoGebra when I write random equation: ##x^2y^2z+x^2yz^2+xyz=1## I am getting a blank graph and sometimes like this (vertical axis is y-axis):
Web capture_23-8-2023_121958_www.geogebra.org.jpeg

My question is that, is it possible to draw a 3D graph of any random 3D equation like the equation: ##x^2y^2z+x^2yz^2+xyz=1##? If yes, then I will use a different 3D graphing software.

Last edited:

1. What does adding 'z' to a 2D graph equation represent?

Adding 'z' to a 2D graph equation represents adding a third dimension to the graph. This allows for the visualization of a three-dimensional object or surface.

2. How does adding 'z' affect the shape of the graph?

Adding 'z' can change the shape of the graph by adding depth to the two-dimensional shape. This can result in a more complex and accurate representation of the object or surface being graphed.

3. Can adding 'z' change the coordinates of the points on the graph?

Yes, adding 'z' can change the coordinates of the points on the graph. This is because the third dimension adds an additional variable to the equation, which can result in different values for the coordinates.

4. Does adding 'z' always result in a three-dimensional graph?

Yes, adding 'z' will always result in a three-dimensional graph. This is because the addition of 'z' creates a third axis, making the graph three-dimensional.

5. Are there any limitations to adding 'z' to a 2D graph equation?

Yes, there are limitations to adding 'z' to a 2D graph equation. This technique is only applicable when representing three-dimensional objects or surfaces. It may not be necessary or useful for simpler two-dimensional graphs.