Does the Average Speed Formula Work for Rolling Objects?

• Thread starter alex_boothby
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves a person questioning why they are not getting the expected potential when adding translational and rotational kinetic energy. They wonder if slipping is a factor and mention their calculations for the experiment. They also mention using linear velocity and dividing distance by time to get the angular speed, but are told this may not be accurate because the ball is accelerating.
alex_boothby
when i add ke translational + ke roatational, i don't get potential which i should, although i was wondering if maybe it was due to slipping although i thought it would still be closer than i got

does this sound right?

ke trans(0.002520831)+ke rotational (0.001008332) = 0.003529163
and
pe=0.014278472

as you can see not very near it!

is this right or have i gone wrong?

the exp was rolling a ball bearing down a 5 degree slope and these calcs were from the 1m release mark. the radius is 0.00765m

thanks

to get the angular speed i used linear V/R (radius)

i got linear v by divinding distance by time.

Physics news on Phys.org
alex_boothby said:
when i add ke translational + ke roatational, i don't get potential which i should, although i was wondering if maybe it was due to slipping although i thought it would still be closer than i got

does this sound right?

ke trans(0.002520831)+ke rotational (0.001008332) = 0.003529163
and
pe=0.014278472

as you can see not very near it!

is this right or have i gone wrong?

the exp was rolling a ball bearing down a 5 degree slope and these calcs were from the 1m release mark. the radius is 0.00765m

thanks

to get the angular speed i used linear V/R (radius)

i got linear v by divinding distance by time.

If you are rolling a ball down a slope, the linear v will NOT be d/t because the ball is accelerating. d/t is average speed not instantaneous speed, which is what you need for your equations.

-Dan

1. What is "Ke trans+ ke rotational"?

"Ke trans+ ke rotational" refers to the combination of two types of motion, translational and rotational. Translational motion refers to the movement of an object in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to the movement of an object around an axis.

2. How is "Ke trans+ ke rotational" different from regular motion?

"Ke trans+ ke rotational" is different from regular motion because it involves both translational and rotational motion, while regular motion typically only involves one type. Additionally, "Ke trans+ ke rotational" may involve more complex movements and changes in direction.

3. What are some examples of "Ke trans+ ke rotational" in everyday life?

Some examples of "Ke trans+ ke rotational" in everyday life include a spinning top, a rolling tire, and a swinging pendulum. These objects exhibit both translational and rotational motion simultaneously.

4. What are the practical applications of studying "Ke trans+ ke rotational"?

Understanding "Ke trans+ ke rotational" can have many practical applications, such as in engineering, robotics, and physics. It can help engineers design more efficient machines and structures, and it can aid in the development of advanced technologies such as self-driving cars and drones.

5. How can we calculate "Ke trans+ ke rotational" motion?

The calculation of "Ke trans+ ke rotational" motion involves using equations to determine the translational and rotational velocities and accelerations of an object. These equations take into account factors such as the object's mass, the applied forces, and the moment of inertia. There are also specific equations for different types of "Ke trans+ ke rotational" motion, such as rolling without slipping or spinning around a fixed axis.