Special Relativity, Question on C and Time Dilation

In summary, the conversation discusses time dilation and the Lorentz transformation, particularly in relation to a thought experiment involving a cyclist traveling at a high speed in a circular track. The accepted understanding is that time slows down for the cyclist compared to the stationary scientist due to the effects of special relativity. However, the person is questioning why this is the case and presents a scenario where it seems like the opposite should be true. The explanation is that the usual time dilation equation only works for inertial frames, and the cyclist's movement in a circle is considered non-inertial. This asymmetry is a fundamental aspect of the laws of physics and cannot be explained further.
iRish_waKe
I've searched around and I keep getting various answers, explanations, and examples for Time Dilation and The Lorentz Transformation, but it isn't what I'm looking for.

I was watching "The Universe" last week and the episode dealt with The Speed of Light and it's properties.

They had an example where a scientist was riding his bike, we'll call him the cyclist, in a circle around another scientist who is stationary.

The track the cyclist was on was circular and for this example we'll say 1/4 of a mile, not that it matters. As theorized by Einstein, as the cyclist approaches the speed of light (.99c), time for him slows down and he ages must more slowly than the stationary scientist. When he stops, he is younger than the scientist who did not move. Now, many times throughout my life I've heard the expression, time slows down as you approach the speed of light, but now I question why? I've Googled and searched and sat and thought about it but the more and more I think about it the more and more I'm getting confused.

It seems to me this is backwards, even though I know it's not, and because I know it's not, it's bothering me.

The way I think about it is:

Let's just say that the cyclist can actually watch the stationary scientist as he travels around him. Ignoring the fact that his view would be distorted because he's traveling so fast, everything around him would appear to be almost stationary. (I think about the scene in "Over the Hedge" when the squirrel or whatever drinks the energy drink, if anyone has seen this movie you know what I'm referring to).

Am I right to assume this much? I'll continue:

If the cyclist is moving that fast, everything around him appears to be almost stationary, this is what I imagine when I think about "time slowing down". If the cyclist were able to look at a clock that was being held up by the stationary scientist, it would take a REALLY long time for one second on that clock to pass, whereby if he were to look at his wristwatch, time would be moving along just as it normally does, right?

This is my problem: If everything above is looked at from the point of the cyclist, if he spent 30 minutes cycling at .99c, watching everything around him barely move, when he slowed back down to 20km/h, wouldn't everything only be like 1 second ahead of where it was? Instead of the stationary scientist aging faster, it's the cyclist.

This makes sense to me. The opposite, which is the accepted way of thought and a proven fact, does not make sense.

Can someone break this particular experiment down and tell me why what seems like the obvious answer is wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
iRish_waKe said:
Let's just say that the cyclist can actually watch the stationary scientist as he travels around him. Ignoring the fact that his view would be distorted because he's traveling so fast, everything around him would appear to be almost stationary. (I think about the scene in "Over the Hedge" when the squirrel or whatever drinks the energy drink, if anyone has seen this movie you know what I'm referring to).

Am I right to assume this much? I'll continue:

If the cyclist is moving that fast, everything around him appears to be almost stationary, this is what I imagine when I think about "time slowing down". If the cyclist were able to look at a clock that was being held up by the stationary scientist, it would take a REALLY long time for one second on that clock to pass, whereby if he were to look at his wristwatch, time would be moving along just as it normally does, right?
No, you've got it backwards. The stationary scientist would see the clock of the cyclist running slow, while the cyclist would see the clock of the stationary scientist running fast--that's why, when he stops, he's aged less than the scientist. The reason for this asymmetry is that the normal rules of time dilation (clocks which are moving from your point of view run slow) only work for inertial observers, i.e. observers moving at constant velocity (which means both unchanging speed and unchanging direction, so moving in a circle doesn't qualify). An observer who is moving non-inertially in special relativity will know they're moving non-inertially because they feel G-forces, like the centrifugal force you feel when you spin in a circle, or the G-forces you feel when you accelerate in a straight line.

I know I have it backwards I'm just trying to understand WHY the obvious is wrong, and no offense but your answer doesn't really help. I don't understand if moving in a circle negates time dilation, why would they say that on "The Science Channel"? I mean I know this is a theory, but time dilation is REAL and works like Einstein said it does, I'm just trying to figure out what part of this whole thing is backwards.

Looking for some more takes on this...

iRish_waKe said:
I know I have it backwards I'm just trying to understand WHY the obvious is wrong, and no offense but your answer doesn't really help.
Did you understand about the difference between inertial and non-inertial frames? The usual time dilation equation doesn't work in non-inertial frames, are you asking why that's true? I don't think there's any "why", it's just a symmetry of the laws of physics that they work the same in inertial frames but not non-inertial ones, you might as well ask "why" gravity is attractive rather than repulsive. As an analogy, if you have a 2D Euclidean plane and you draw a Cartesian x-y coordinate system on it, then the distance between two points with coordinates (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) will always be given by the Pythagorean formula [tex]\sqrt{(x_2 - x_1)^2 + (y_2 - y_1)^2}[/tex], regardless of how your axes are oriented; but if you draw a distorted non-Cartesian coordinate system where the x-y axes aren't at right angles to one another or aren't even straight lines, then this formula will no longer correctly give the distance between points with coordinates (x1,y1) and (x2,y2).

Haha, okay your bit about gravity made me laugh. I guess, because that's what happens when this set of variables are in place, is going to have to do. I was just trying to "visualize" what traveling that fast would look like, when in reality, it would be horribly distorted because light wouldn't be getting to my eyes at the same speed. I guess I was taking too much out of the equation and still trying to solve it.

I had accepted it for so many years, and then that show came on and I was like wait a sec, that makes no sense. Now when I go back and think about it, it can only make sense when certain criteria are met. Stupid television.

Thank you.

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that describes how objects move in space and time, particularly at high speeds. It is based on the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion.

2. How does special relativity relate to the speed of light?

Special relativity states that the speed of light, denoted as c, is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the speed of light is a fundamental constant in the universe and nothing can travel faster than it.

3. What is time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon predicted by special relativity where time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds. This means that a clock on a fast-moving object will appear to tick slower compared to a stationary clock.

4. How does time dilation affect everyday life?

Time dilation is only noticeable at extremely high speeds, such as those close to the speed of light. In everyday life, the effects of time dilation are negligible and cannot be observed without precise instruments. However, it is an important concept in understanding the behavior of particles in particle accelerators and the concept of GPS.

5. Can special relativity explain the concept of time travel?

Special relativity does not allow for time travel in the traditional sense, where one can travel back in time and change events. However, it does propose the idea of time dilation, where time can appear to pass at different rates for different observers. This has been used in science fiction to explore the concept of time travel, but it is not currently possible with our current understanding of physics.