Formula for impact velocity at an angle

In summary, a projectile is launched from an 84m tall cliff with an initial speed of 32m/s at an angle of 25 degrees above the horizontal. After 5.74s, it impacts with a velocity of 51.7m/s at an angle of 55.9 degrees below the horizontal. There seems to be some confusion in the given equations and calculations, so further clarification or assistance may be needed to accurately calculate the peak height of the projectile.
laurmaso

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched from a cliff that is 84m tall with an initial speed of 32m/s at an angle of 25 degrees above the horizontal. The object is in the air for a total of 5.74s. What is its impact velocity and at what angle?

Homework Equations

Vfy = Voy + ayt

Vf^2 = Vfx^2 + Vfy ^2

tan(theta) = (Vfy)/(Vfx)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have that the answer is 51.7m/s at an angle of 55.9 degrees below the horizontal. However, when I attempt to solve, my answers don't match up:

Vfy = Voy + ayt
= 0 + (-9.8m/s^2)(5.74s)
= -56.25

Vf^2 = Vfx^2 + Vfy^2
= (32)^2 + (-56.25)^2
= 1024 + 3164.06
= 4188.29
Vf = 64.71m/s <------ incorrect

Then when I plug into find the angle of impact:

tan(theta) = (Vfy)/(Vfx)
= (-56.25)/(32)
= -1.7578
tan^-1 (-1.5758) = -60.36 degrees below the horizontal <------- also incorrect.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any suggestions??

I also need to calculate the peak height of the projectile; I first used:
t = (Voy)/g
= 32sin25/(-9.8m/s^2)
= 13.5/(-9.8)
= 1.37s

then y = (1/2)at^2 + Voyt
= (-4.9m/s^2)(1.37s)^2 + 13.5m/s(1.37s)
= -9.2 + 18.5
= 9.3m <-------- this answer cannot be correct, not sure what I'm doing wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi laurmaso! Welcome to PF! :wink:
laurmaso said:
A projectile is launched from a cliff that is 84m tall with an initial speed of 32m/s at an angle of 25 degrees above the horizontal. The object is in the air for a total of 5.74s. What is its impact velocity and at what angle?

Vfy = Voy + ayt
= 0 + (-9.8m/s^2)(5.74s)
= -56.25

Sorry, but this makes no sense :redface:

Voy isn't 0, and you haven't used the 84m.

Try again. :smile:

What is the formula for impact velocity at an angle?

The formula for impact velocity at an angle is v = √(u2 + 2gh), where v is the impact velocity, u is the initial velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object.

How do you calculate the impact velocity at an angle?

To calculate the impact velocity at an angle, you need to know the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, and the height of the object. Then, you can plug these values into the formula v = √(u2 + 2gh) to find the impact velocity.

What factors affect the impact velocity at an angle?

The factors that affect the impact velocity at an angle include the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, and the height of the object. Additionally, factors such as air resistance and the surface on which the object lands can also impact the velocity.

Why is it important to calculate the impact velocity at an angle?

Calculating the impact velocity at an angle is important in many fields of science and engineering, such as ballistics, mechanics, and structural design. It allows us to predict the velocity at which an object will hit a surface, which is crucial for safety and accuracy in various applications.

Can the formula for impact velocity at an angle be used for all objects?

No, the formula for impact velocity at an angle is specifically for objects that are launched at an angle and fall under the influence of gravity. It does not take into account other factors such as air resistance and the shape or mass of the object. Thus, it may not be accurate for all objects.