Finding the mach number of an aircraft

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the mach number of a supersonic aircraft flying parallel to the ground. The observer uses trigonometry to find the half-angle of the mach cone and then uses this to calculate the mach number. However, it is noted that using the adjacent and opposite sides of the triangle was incorrect. The correct method involves finding the distance from the point where the sonic boom is heard to the point where the rocket is released and combining this with the ratio of the speed of the plane to the speed of sound.
jmm5872
A supersonic aircraft is flying parallel to the ground. When the aircraft is directly overhead, an observer sees a rocket fired from the aircraft. 10.4 s later the observer hears the sonic boom, followed 3.37 s later by the sound of the rocket engine. What is the mach number of the aircraft?

I think I was too simple in my assumptions, but I used trig to find the half-angle of the mach cone. I used the adjacent side as 10.4, and the opposite side as 13.77, and took the inverse tan. I got an angle of 52.9375.

Then I used this to find the mach number by using this equation:

Mach # = 1/sin([tex]\theta[/tex])

=1/sin(52.9375) = 1.25317

Physics news on Phys.org
Those 2 sides are not the 2 sides next to the 90 degree angle, so taking an inverse tan was wrong.

I calculated the distance from the point from where the sonic boom is first heard to the point where the rocket is released with pythagorars. (the other 2 sides are 13.77c and 10.4c where c is the speed of sound).
This distance is covered by the plane in 3.37s, so it's equal to 3.37v, where v is the speed of the plane.

I'm still a little confused by this. I am trying to set the triangle up and can't get past this diagram...I know you said it was wrong, but I can't picture the triangle you are describing.

I tried to attach a drawing I made, I hope it works

Attachments

• Mach Number HW 14.png
    Mach Number HW 14.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 570
Your triangle is actually Ok, (and mine wasn't) but to get [itex] \tan{\phi} [/itex] you need to find the length of the sides in meters, and not in seconds.
The vertical distance is [itex] 13.77 v_{sound} [/itex] and the horizontal distance is [itex] 10.4 v_{plane} [/itex]

When you have an expression for [itex] \tan{\phi} [/itex], you can combine that with

[tex] \frac { v_{plane} } { v_{sound} } = \frac {1} {\sin{\phi}} [/tex]

Thank you for sharing your approach to finding the mach number of the aircraft. Your use of trigonometry to calculate the half-angle of the mach cone is a valid method. However, it is important to note that there may be other factors at play that could affect the accuracy of this calculation, such as wind speed and direction. It would be beneficial to also consider these variables in your analysis. Additionally, it is important to keep in mind that the mach number is not a constant value for an aircraft and can vary depending on its speed and altitude. Overall, your approach is a good starting point for determining the mach number of the aircraft, but further analysis and consideration of potential variables may be necessary for a more accurate calculation.

What is the Mach number of an aircraft?

The Mach number is the ratio of the speed of an aircraft to the speed of sound in the surrounding medium. It is used to measure the speed of the aircraft in relation to the speed of sound.

How is the Mach number calculated?

The Mach number is calculated by dividing the speed of the aircraft by the speed of sound. It is represented by the formula M = V/a, where M is the Mach number, V is the speed of the aircraft, and a is the speed of sound.

What is the significance of the Mach number in aviation?

The Mach number is important in aviation because it determines the critical speed of an aircraft. When an aircraft reaches the speed of sound, it experiences a shock wave that can cause drag, loss of control, and potential damage to the aircraft.

How does the Mach number affect an aircraft's performance?

The Mach number affects an aircraft's performance by determining its maximum speed and the aerodynamic forces acting on it. As the Mach number increases, the aerodynamic forces also increase, impacting the aircraft's stability and maneuverability.

What factors can affect the Mach number of an aircraft?

The Mach number of an aircraft can be affected by altitude, air density, temperature, and the type of aircraft. Higher altitudes and colder temperatures can result in a higher Mach number, while lower air density and the design of the aircraft can also impact its Mach number.