Special Relativity: Going from A to B on a helix

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the length of a helix from point A to point B, both non-relativistically and relativistically. It is suggested to use an inertial frame to analyze the motion and clock rate, with formulas provided for calculating the time elapsed on the object's clock. The concept of a spaceship traveling on a helix is also mentioned.
JesseM said:
OK, it's not familiar terminology for me. Doing a google search for "pace" and "helix" doesn't turn up anyone else using "pace" in these sense in the first two pages of results, are you sure this is standard usage? I also didn't know why you put (2*pi*c) after the word "pace", although now that you quote the mathworld page I see it does give parametric equations for the helix in which z=ct, and where "r is the radius of the helix and 2*pi*c is a constant giving the vertical separation of the helix's loops" (note that the c here has nothing to do with the speed of light, so it was a bit confusing for you to write 2*pi*c without explaining this!)
Yes it is called pace.
See for instance http://books.google.com/books?id=s9...v=onepage&q=helix pace cos sin length&f=false

JesseM said:
Anyway, if the length of a coil is 2 light-seconds in the frame where the speed of the sphere is 0.6c, then the time for a rotation in this frame must be 2/0.6 = 3.333... seconds. So, in the sphere's rest frame the rotation time must be 3.333...*0.8 = 2.666... seconds. That means the tangential speed in the sphere's rest frame is (2*pi*0.3)/2.666... = 0.70686c...where did you get a tangential speed of 0.57c?
Ah, I did not apply the gamma.

JesseM said:
And if the height of a coil is 2 light-seconds, then the length along a single coil must be sqrt(2^2 + (2*pi*0.3)^2) = 2.7483 light-seconds, for a total length of 6*2.7483 = 16.49 light-seconds. Thus if the time is 20 seconds in the frame where the sphere moves at 0.6c, the speed of the clock in this frame must be 16.49/20 = 0.82c.

Where on that page do you see anything about the length of the helix? The page I quoted said the length of a single coil with height H and radius R is given by L = sqrt(H^2 + (2 pi R)^2), do you think this formula is incorrect?
Well shouldn't it be L = 2 pi * sqrt( R^2 + (H/(2 pi))^2)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Passionflower said:
Well shouldn't it be L = 2 pi * sqrt( R^2 + (H/(2 pi))^2)?
No, why do you think so? Did you follow what I said about a helix being drawn on a cylinder, and since a cylinder has no intrinsic curvature you can "unwrap" it into a rectangle with the same height H as the cylinder and a width equal to the circumference of the cylinder 2*pi*R?

I took the formula from: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Helix.html

It reads:

for t in [0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]), where r is the radius of the helix and [itex]2\pi c[/itex] is a constant giving the vertical separation of the helix's loops.
The arc length is given by

[tex]s=\sqrt{r^2+c^2} t[/tex]

Passionflower said:
I took the formula from: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Helix.html

It reads:

for t in [0,2[itex]\pi[/itex]), where r is the radius of the helix and [itex]2\pi c[/itex] is a constant giving the vertical separation of the helix's loops.
The arc length is given by

[tex]s=\sqrt{r^2+c^2} t[/tex]
This is when you parametrize the helix using the equations x=r*cos(t), y=r*sin(t), and z=c*t, where 2pi*c is the height of a single coil. So if you start at t=0, you reach a single coil when t=2pi, meaning the arc length of that coil is [tex]2\pi \sqrt{r^2 + c^2}[/tex]
= [tex]\sqrt{(2\pi)^2}*\sqrt{r^2 + c^2}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{(2\pi r)^2 + (2 \pi c)^2[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{(2 \pi r)^2 + H^2 }[/tex] where H is the height of a coil, the same formula I quoted from the other page, and which you can see is correct by considering the argument I gave about unwrapping a cylinder with a helix drawn on.

So then the formula I wrote down is correct you just used a different form.

Passionflower said:
So then the formula I wrote down is correct you just used a different form.
Ah yes, I didn't catch that the formula you wrote down in post #36 was equivalent to my formula, I just assumed that since you had previously gotten the wrong value for the length of the helix, and seemed to be disagreeing with the formula I wrote down, that you were using a non-equivalent formula.

Looks like I got it down (finally), so now I can start comparing proper times along straight and helical paths.

It was certainly a good exercise for me. It turned out to be much simpler than I thought it was but that did not prevent me from going through a bunch of mistakes.

Thanks everybody for your help.