Degrees of freedom an constraints

In summary, the concept of degree of freedom for a system refers to the number of numeric values needed to fully describe the state of the system. This can vary depending on the assumptions about valid states, such as translation and rotation. In the example of 2 particles free to rotate, the total DOF can be either 12 or 6, depending on whether the particles are seen as points or if rotational DOF is considered. With the constraint of fixed distance between the particles, the total DOF is 5, taking into account only positional DOF.
aaaa202
I'm not quite sure I get the idea of a degree of freedom for a system. First of all: Is there freedom in characterizing the DOF for a system - i.e. will specifying the DOF for a system relative to any coordinate system always be the same?
Next let me do an example: If we have 2 particles free to rotate about any axis, what is the total DOF for that system? Is that 12 or 6? Because I normally see 6, but isn't that just because you see the particle as a point? On the other hand it perhaps doesn't make sense to say that a single particle can rotate.
Next let's imagine that we put a constraint on the system saying that the distance between the two particles must stay fixed. I have then been told that the total DOF are 5. But how do I realize that? And does this number account for rotational DOF?

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to look at this is to ask the question: how many numeric values does it take to completely describe the state of the system? You first have to have some assumptions about valid states: translation, rotation, time, etc.

In the case of 5 DOF, I am guessing that position is the only valid state (i.e. rotations aren't allowed). In that case, the first particle is described by 3 spatial coordinates. The 2nd particle can be anywhere on a fixed sphere around that particle. In spherical coordinates, r is fixed but theta and phi can be anything, thus 2 extra DOF for a total of 5 DOF.

1. What is the concept of "degrees of freedom" in science?

"Degrees of freedom" refers to the number of independent variables or parameters that can vary in a scientific experiment or study. It is a measure of how much control or flexibility the researcher has in manipulating or measuring variables.

2. How are degrees of freedom related to statistical analyses?

In statistics, degrees of freedom are used to calculate the variability and significance of data. The number of degrees of freedom determines which statistical tests can be used, such as t-tests or ANOVA, and affects the accuracy of the results.

3. What is the difference between degrees of freedom and constraints?

Degrees of freedom and constraints are two opposing concepts in science. While degrees of freedom refer to the number of variables that can vary, constraints refer to limitations or restrictions in an experiment or study. Constraints can affect the number of degrees of freedom and the validity of the results.

4. How do degrees of freedom impact the reliability of scientific findings?

In general, the higher the number of degrees of freedom, the more reliable the findings are. This is because a higher number of degrees of freedom means there is less chance of a random or coincidental result. However, it is important for researchers to carefully consider and control for any potential constraints in their study.

5. Can degrees of freedom be altered in a scientific study?

Yes, degrees of freedom can be altered by changing the number of variables or constraints in a study. Researchers can also increase or decrease degrees of freedom by adjusting sample size or experimental design. However, it is important to carefully consider the impact of these changes on the validity and reliability of the study.