Calculating Chair Stability: Solving the Angle of a Rocking Chair Tipping Over

In summary, a question was found online about a child rocking on a chair in a story from a German children's book. The question asks at what angle the chair will fall over backwards given its dimensions and the mass of the chair and child. There is also a request for steps on how to solve the problem. The speaker also expresses concern about the durability of the chair.
jobsism
I found a pretty interesting question on the net. Can anyone please attempt at answering it? This is NOT a Homework question. I haven't reached this portion in my school, but I'm pretty interested in solving it.

A German childrens' book, "Der Struwwelpeter" show as humor various misbehavior of children. (And of course the bad outcomes of this behavior). This story is about a child who rocked back and forward on his chair while sitting at the table.

Now, assuming the thin legs of the chair are in the form of a square each side of which is 40 cm and the thick padded chair seat is 50 cm from the floor, at what angle form the vertical will the chair fall over backwards?

The mass of the chair is 12 Kg, and the mass of the child is 30 Kilograms. When the child is sitting down, his center of mass is 18 cm from the seat of the chair.

Physics news on Phys.org
If there is a resultant moment, the child will tip, you just need to find the minimum moment needed.

The kid weighs 30 kg (more than half of my body weight) and is still rocking about in his chair? Shouldn't he be trying for his driver's license instead?

jobsism said:
I found a pretty interesting question on the net. Can anyone please attempt at answering it? This is NOT a Homework question. I haven't reached this portion in my school, but I'm pretty interested in solving it.

A German childrens' book, "Der Struwwelpeter" show as humor various misbehavior of children. (And of course the bad outcomes of this behavior). This story is about a child who rocked back and forward on his chair while sitting at the table.

Now, assuming the thin legs of the chair are in the form of a square each side of which is 40 cm and the thick padded chair seat is 50 cm from the floor, at what angle form the vertical will the chair fall over backwards?

The mass of the chair is 12 Kg, and the mass of the child is 30 Kilograms. When the child is sitting down, his center of mass is 18 cm from the seat of the chair.

Can anyone post steps how to figure this out? I know there are some assumptions to be made like center of mass at the belly button.

Please help if you can!

Start by drawing a sketch.

Personally I'm more worried about shearing the chair apart than falling over. If I tip back, I think the back and arms will pull out of their joints. (I'm four times the mass of that child.)

Related to Calculating Chair Stability: Solving the Angle of a Rocking Chair Tipping Over

1. What is an interesting problem?

An interesting problem is a challenge or question that sparks curiosity and requires critical thinking to solve. It can be related to any field of study or aspect of daily life.

2. How do scientists approach an interesting problem?

Scientists approach an interesting problem by first gathering information and data related to the problem. They then formulate a hypothesis and design experiments or studies to test their hypothesis. They also collaborate with other scientists and use various tools and techniques to analyze their findings.

3. Can an interesting problem be solved?

Yes, an interesting problem can be solved through the scientific method. By gathering evidence, testing hypotheses, and analyzing data, scientists can come up with solutions or explanations to an interesting problem.

4. Why is it important to solve interesting problems?

Solving interesting problems can lead to advancements in various fields and improve our understanding of the world around us. It can also help us develop new technologies, improve processes, and address important issues in society.

5. How can one come up with interesting problems to study?

One can come up with interesting problems to study by observing their surroundings, being curious, and asking questions. Scientists also often build upon previous research and discoveries to identify new and interesting problems to study.