Astronomy/Physics double major possible routes

In summary, the speaker is a sophomore Physics-Astronomy double major at Stony Brook University who is interested in working in the space industry in the future. They are looking for tips or ideas on how to achieve this goal, preferably something more specific than "working with NASA." The speaker believes that the future of space travel will be in the private sector and suggests getting familiar with the politics of science and attending conferences to network and gain knowledge about funding opportunities. They also mention the importance of convincing scientists about the value of manned space flight and note that getting a Ph.D. in astronomy or physics can open up opportunities in this field.
striker7770
Hello,
I am currently a sophmore and a Physics-Astronomy double major at stony brook university. I am starting to really think about future jobs and internships, and I need a little career advice. Currently most of my professors are working on theoretical cosmology and astrophyiscs, supernovae and neutron stars. However I want to work a little closer to home, I want to help out with the space industry in the future, working with future space missions and a more practical side to astronomy.
Does anybody have any tips or ideas on how to go for this goal? Or a more concrete discription rather than saying "I want to work with NASA". I will be up for anything, as long as it deals with humanities interaction with space, not just observational astronomy.

Physics news on Phys.org
striker7770 said:
However I want to work a little closer to home, I want to help out with the space industry in the future, working with future space missions and a more practical side to astronomy.

Get very familiar with the politics of science and space flight. If there are any lunches or seminars in your department, attend them, and if you hear people talking about funding, listen very closely. Also, if you can convince someone to let you attend AAS, do it.

One thing that's on my TODO list is to convince scientists that manned space flight is a good thing.

Does anybody have any tips or ideas on how to go for this goal?

If you get a Ph.D. in astronomy or physics, you'll have a number of chances to get involved in this area.

1. Can I pursue both an Astronomy and Physics major at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to major in both Astronomy and Physics. Many universities offer double major programs that allow students to earn a degree in both fields.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing a double major in Astronomy and Physics?

A double major in Astronomy and Physics can provide a well-rounded education in both fields, as well as open up a wider range of career opportunities. It can also be beneficial for those interested in pursuing graduate studies in either field.

3. What courses should I take if I want to double major in Astronomy and Physics?

The specific courses required for a double major in Astronomy and Physics will vary by university, but typically include introductory courses in both fields, as well as courses in calculus, mechanics, and electromagnetism. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a personalized plan of study.

4. How long does it take to complete a double major in Astronomy and Physics?

The length of time it takes to complete a double major in Astronomy and Physics will depend on a variety of factors, including the specific requirements of the university and the number of courses taken each semester. On average, it may take 4-5 years to complete both majors.

5. Can I minor in another subject while pursuing a double major in Astronomy and Physics?

It is possible to minor in another subject while pursuing a double major in Astronomy and Physics, but it may require careful planning and may extend the time it takes to complete both degrees. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the feasibility of adding a minor to a double major program.