Matrix notation for Lorentz transformations

In summary, index notation can be confusing, especially when working with contravariant and covariant vectors. The rules for index notation include using the metric tensor and its inverse, transposing matrices when necessary, and being mindful of the horizontal positions of indices. It is important to carefully consider the placement of indices when performing matrix equations to ensure correct results.
decerto
I'm having some confusion with index notation and how it works with contravariance/covariance.

[itex](v_{new})^i=\frac{\partial (x_{new})^i}{\partial (x_{old})^j}(v_{old})^j[/itex]

[itex](v_{new})^i=J^i_{\ j}(v_{old})^j[/itex]

[itex](v_{new})_i=\frac{\partial (x_{old})^j}{\partial (x_{new})^i}(v_{old})_j[/itex]

[itex](v_{new})_i=(J^{-1})^j_{\ i}(v_{old})_j[/itex]

So these are the standard rules for transforming contra and covariant vectors.
Now if we want to convert this into a matrix equation is there an exact set of rules with regards index position?

For example for the covariant transformation I can transpose the matrix which swaps the index order(Not sure how this makes sense) and this gives the right answer if we treat the covariant vectors as columns.

Or I can move the [itex](v_{old})_j[/itex] to the right of the J inverse and treat it as a row vector and this gives the right answer and I don't need to even consider what a transpose is in this interpretation.

Now both of these interpretations give the correct answers but they seem to have different meanings for upper vs lower and horizontal order.

Is there a best way to think about this, which way makes the most sense in terms of raising/lowering with metric tensors and transforming higher order tensors?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest the following rules:
1. If the metric tensor is denoted by ##g##, the matrix with ##g_{ij}## on row i, column j is denoted by ##g## as well.

2. The component on row i, column j of the matrix ##g^{-1}## is denoted by ##g^{ij}##.

3. For most other matrices X, the element on row i, column j is denoted by ##X^i{}_j##.

4. For n×1 matrices v, you don't write the column index. In other words, you write ##v^i## instead of ##v^i{}_1##.

5. For 1×n matrices v, if you use them at all (it's probably best if you don't), you can't drop the row index from the notation. The notation ##v_i## is already reserved for ##g_{ij}v^j=g_{ij}v^j{}_1##, so it can't be used for ##v^1{}_i##.

6. In products, you transpose matrices if you have to, to ensure that each index that's summed over appears once upstairs and once downstairs.​
Example: A Lorentz transformation is linear function ##\Lambda:\mathbb R^4\to\mathbb R^4## such that ##\Lambda^T\eta\Lambda=\eta##. The component on row ##\mu##, column ##\nu## of this equation is
$$\eta_{\mu\nu}=(\Lambda^T)^\mu{}_\rho \eta_{\rho\sigma}\Lambda^\sigma{}_\nu =\Lambda^\rho{}_\mu\eta_{\rho\sigma}\Lambda^\sigma{}_\nu.$$ The intermediate step is usually not written out, because ##\rho## appears twice downstairs.

Note that the horizontal positions of the indices are important, because of weird things like this:
$$(\Lambda^{-1})^\mu{}_\nu = (\eta^{-1}\Lambda^T\eta)^\mu{}_\nu =\eta^{\mu\rho} \Lambda^\sigma{}_\rho \eta_{\sigma\nu} =\Lambda_\nu{}^\mu.$$

1. What is index notation interpretation?

Index notation interpretation is a mathematical notation used to represent and manipulate vectors, matrices, and tensors. It uses indices to represent the components of these objects and allows for concise and efficient notation in calculations.

2. How is index notation used in physics and engineering?

Index notation is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent physical quantities and equations in a more compact and efficient way. It is particularly useful in vector and tensor analysis, as well as in the study of fields and differential equations.

3. What are the advantages of using index notation?

Using index notation allows for easier manipulation and calculation of complex mathematical expressions involving vectors, matrices, and tensors. It also helps to identify patterns and symmetries in equations, making it a powerful tool in solving problems in physics and engineering.

4. Are there any limitations to using index notation?

One limitation of index notation is that it can be difficult to visualize and understand for those who are not familiar with it. It also requires a good understanding of vector and tensor algebra, which can be challenging for some individuals.

5. How can I improve my skills in index notation interpretation?

Practicing with various examples and problems is the best way to improve your skills in index notation interpretation. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of vector and tensor algebra, as well as the physical concepts and equations that use index notation.