Recommendations for IB Physics revision books

In summary, a Year 12 Physics student in the UK is looking for recommendations for IB Physics revision resources. They have been assigned two textbooks, one by KA Tsokos and the other by IBID Press, but are looking for a slimmer, concise revision guide and past paper style questions. They are also considering the "IB Prepared- Physics HL" book published by the IB. Other suggested resources include the notes by Chris Hamper and the IB Study Guide by Tim Kirk. The student also mentions using an iPad app for studying.
mlitherland
I'm a Year 12 (UK) Physics student, currently in the first year of my IB course. I have been assigned some Easter revision work, and just wondered if anyone who has experience of IB Physics has any recommendations as to which books they have used in the past. I have been given two hefty textbooks, one very mathematical tome by KA Tsokos and the other a little outdated (IBID Press, 1999). A slimmer, concise yet detailed revision guide is really what I'm looking for, alongside some resource which can give me 'mock' past paper style questions. They should be suitable for IB Higher Level Physics, which is what I plan to take.
Thanks in advance for any help I receive

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the book that my school had.

I also used the notes of one Chris Hamper when I was in an IB Diploma program. I left it in favour of A-Levels, in case you're wondering, and as such cannot really give you an opinion on these resources. I only properly started learning year 12-13 physics when I started A-Levels.

Looking up "IB physics revision notes" on Google.com returns some potentially useful results.

Good luck!

thanks for the advice, much appreciated (and yes, the attraction of A levels does seem to multiply after a half-year of IB!)
i've done a bit more research myself, and have found a potentially useful book: "IB Prepared- Physics HL". It seems the IB publish this series of guides themselves. Has anyone else ever used these, and if so, are they any good?!

link below
http://store.ibo.org/product_info.php?cPath=23_220&products_id=1577

mlitherland said:
thanks for the advice, much appreciated (and yes, the attraction of A levels does seem to multiply after a half-year of IB!)
i've done a bit more research myself, and have found a potentially useful book: "IB Prepared- Physics HL". It seems the IB publish this series of guides themselves. Has anyone else ever used these, and if so, are they any good?!

link below
http://store.ibo.org/product_info.php?cPath=23_220&products_id=1577

You've got less than 1.5 years left, so stick with it! I only went back to A-Levels because my IB school didn't have a wide enough range of subjects and the teaching quality was quite average. Not worth the money being spent. Would be too expensive to go elsewhere. After all of that "drama", I couldn't be bothered and just did whatever I had to to be able to get into uni. Baaaad decisions. But anyway, water under the bridge.

If you have an iPad, I've found this.
Topics 1 and 9 are free and you have to purchase the rest individually. I've bought about half of them and I can highly recommend them.

I also used the IB Study Guide by Tim Kirk that Mepris mentioned. I thought it was very helpful- it was my most used physics textbook throughout my 2 years of IB physics and pretty much the only book I used for preparing for the exams. It also seem to fit quite well with what you said you were looking for- a slim, concise revision guide.

Tsokos' book is a good book too, in that it explains conceps quite clearly and thoroughly. It's a great book for actually learning the material. But as an exam preparation tool, it's not the best, contrary to Tim Kirk's study guide.

I got most of my pastpapers from my school as well as by searching online. Don't really remember the sites, so can't really help you on that.

Good luck!

1. What are the best IB Physics revision books recommended by experts?

There are several IB Physics revision books recommended by experts, including "Physics for the IB Diploma" by K.A. Tsokos, "IB Physics Study Guide" by Tim Kirk, and "IB Physics Course Book" by Michael Bowen-Jones. It is important to choose a book that aligns with the IB Physics curriculum and covers all necessary topics.

2. Are there any specific books that are better for visual learners?

For visual learners, "IB Physics Study Guide" by Tim Kirk and "IB Physics Course Book" by Michael Bowen-Jones are great options. These books include diagrams, illustrations, and other visual aids to help with understanding complex concepts.

3. Are there any books that are more suited for self-study?

"Physics for the IB Diploma" by K.A. Tsokos and "IB Physics Study Guide" by Tim Kirk are both good choices for self-study. They provide clear explanations and practice questions to help students prepare for the IB Physics exams.

4. Are there any revision books that cover all topics in the IB Physics syllabus?

Most IB Physics revision books cover all topics in the syllabus, but some may have more comprehensive coverage than others. "IB Physics Course Book" by Michael Bowen-Jones is a popular choice for its thorough coverage of all topics in the IB Physics syllabus.

5. Is it necessary to buy multiple revision books for IB Physics?

It is not necessary to buy multiple revision books for IB Physics. It is recommended to choose one book that aligns with the IB Physics curriculum and covers all topics, and supplement it with additional resources such as past papers and online resources for practice.