How Is Heat Absorbed by Gas in a Pressure and Volume Increase Process?

In summary, heat absorbance is the ability of a material to absorb incoming heat energy, which is typically measured using a spectrophotometer. Factors that affect heat absorbance include the material's composition, density, and thickness, as well as the wavelength and intensity of the incoming heat energy. Heat absorbance is important in regulating temperature and preventing damage, and can be altered or improved by changing the properties of the material. Using materials with high heat absorbance in building and construction can also help improve energy efficiency and reduce cooling costs.
sun
Heat absorbance: PLS PLS HELP ASAP!

Homework Statement

A quantity of a monatomic ideal gas undergoes a process in which its pressure is increased by a factor of n = 3 and its volume is increased by a factor of m = 6 as shown in Figure P12.12. What is the heat absorbed by the gas during this process? (Hint: See Problem 1. Answer in terms of P0V0.)

http://www.webassign.net/sercp/p12-12alt.gif

this is what I've done so far, but i keep getting it incorrect.
work (W), which equals -1/2 (n*Po-Po)(m*Vo-Vo) - Po(Vo-Vo)
delta U = (3/2) [(m*Po)(n*Vo) - PoVo]

delta U=(3/2)[(6Po)(3Vo)-PoVo]=(3/2)(17PoVo)
W=(-1/2)((3Po-Po)(6Vo-Vo)-Po(Vo-Vo))=(-1/2)((2Po)(5Vo)-(Po(Vo-Vo))=-5PoVo

U=Q+W

I solved for W and got 30.5xPoVo.

I'm clearly doing some incorrect algebra somewhere. Could i please get some help?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sun said:
this is what I've done so far, but i keep getting it incorrect.
work (W), which equals -1/2 (n*Po-Po)(m*Vo-Vo) - Po(m*Vo-Vo)

Since the process path is a straight line, the work on the gas is just the negative of the area of the trapezoid under the line, which is what you have. (I corrected your second term.) If you put in the values for m and n, you get -10PoVo.

delta U = (3/2) [(m*Po)(n*Vo) - PoVo]

We'll call the number of moles C for the moment (it cancels out). So To = PoVo/CR and T' = 18PoVo/CR , so

delta U = (3/2)·C·R· (17PoVo/CR) = (51/2)PoVo = 25.5PoVo

deltaU=Q+W

so Q = deltaU - W = 25.5PoVo - (-10PoVo) = 35.5PoVo .

It's that second term in your work equation: you dropped the factor n in the volume difference.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out for help. It seems like you are on the right track with your calculations, but there might be a mistake in your equation for work (W). Remember that work is equal to the change in energy, so it should be W = delta U. Also, make sure you are using the correct values for pressure and volume in your calculations. I suggest double checking your work and equations to find where the error might be. If you are still having trouble, please provide your updated calculations so I can take a closer look and provide further assistance.

Best,

1. What is heat absorbance?

Heat absorbance is the ability of a material to absorb incoming heat energy. This can be measured by the amount of heat that is taken in or retained by the material.

2. How is heat absorbance measured?

Heat absorbance is typically measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the amount of light absorbed by a material as a proxy for heat absorption. The more light absorbed, the higher the heat absorbance.

3. What factors affect heat absorbance?

The factors that affect heat absorbance include the material's composition, density, and thickness as well as the wavelength and intensity of the incoming heat energy.

4. Why is heat absorbance important?

Heat absorbance is important because it can impact the temperature of a material and its surroundings. Materials with high heat absorbance can help regulate temperature and prevent overheating, while materials with low heat absorbance may contribute to temperature increases and potential damage.

5. How can heat absorbance be altered or improved?

Heat absorbance can be altered or improved by changing the properties of the material. This can include modifying its composition, thickness, or surface treatment to increase or decrease the amount of heat it can absorb. Additionally, using materials with high heat absorbance in building and construction can help improve energy efficiency and reduce cooling costs.