Understanding the Speed of Force: Instantaneous vs. Speed of Light

• Thread starter PhDorBust
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, according to Newtonian physics, gravity is instantaneous. According to general relativity, gravity is not instantaneous.
PhDorBust
Is force instantaneous or does it travel at the speed of light, and why?

Like is the gravitational effect felt on us by the sun immediate or does it take 8 minutes or so to be realized?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you are applying a force to something, then the effects of that force travel through the object at the speed of sound in that object. Much slower then the speed of light.

PhDorBust said:

Like is the gravitational effect felt on us by the sun immediate or does it take 8 minutes or so to be realized?

Gravity's a different creature. But if you were to don a suit of magnetized iron armor and sit on the Earth and send a gigantic electromagnet to the sun and then someone switched it on, then yes, it would take 8 minutes for you to feel the tug.

why would it not be instantaneous?

PhDorBust said:

Gravity travels at exactly the speed of light. If the sun were to disappear right now, the Earth would keep revolving as if the sun were still there. After about 8 minutes the Earth would notice the absence of the suns gravity and would just float off into space.

creepypasta13 said:
why would it not be instantaneous?

Because the messenger particles that mediate the force only travel at c.

Mechanical forces propagate energy as mechanical waves (speed depends on the inertial and elastic properties of the the medium). Gravity, by what I've heard and read, propagates at the speed of light - meaning that if the sun suddenly disappeared, the planets that were orbiting it would take a while to go off course.

In this folder gravity is instantaneous. A few folders down it propagates somewhat slower--sort-of.

Gravity is instantaneous. If it were not there would be a "drag" factor on any rotating body because the force would be acting behind the radius line. Because mass absorbs space the support between two masses is removed and the effect is instantaneous. If ten matches were separating two masses and two (one from each end) were removed the shortened distance would be immediate. This is the reason for the constant acceleration of a rotating body toward the middle.

Gravity is instantaneous in Newtonian physics. In general relativity it is not.

Pierre007080 said:
Gravity is instantaneous. If it were not there would be a "drag" factor on any rotating body because the force would be acting behind the radius line.
That is a common argument used against general relativity by those who do not understand it. If that is all there was to general relativity that argument would be correct. However, there is more (a whole lot more) to general relativity than a finite propagation time for gravity. Other terms such as frame dragging nearly cancel the effects of frame dragging. For example, for planets far from the Sun and moving at relatively slow speeds compared to light speed it looks very much like gravity does propagate instantaneously. This is not the case for Mercury. That general relativity explained a known defect with the Newtonian explanation of Mercury's orbit was one of the reasons general relativity won the day over Newtonian mechanics.

Because mass absorbs space the support between two masses is removed and the effect is instantaneous.
This is meaningless nonsense.

Pierre007080 said:
Gravity is instantaneous. If it were not there would be a "drag" factor on any rotating body because the force would be acting behind the radius line.
As DH already said, this simlistic logic is wrong. It assumes that a field can only contain information about the position of the source during emission. But a field can also contain information about the velocity of the source during emission.

The electric field is like this too: The field lines of a inertially moving charge always point towards the current position of the charge, not some old position from which the field was emitted. But this does not meant the electric field is instantaneous. It just means that the field moves at the same speed as the source was moving during emission.

Isn't the idea of two events happening instantaneously actually a rather bizarre idea in itself? I have read about the idea in quantum mechanics with spins of certain particles, but our basic human model of what instantaneous really is seems ambiguous and hard to define. Just my slightly philisophical take. Time is a human construct. Any ideas that would help me would be appreciated so I thank the first poster for posing the question to begin with. Human models and what reality presents can be vexing. And I really don't know what I mean by reality. anyhow... any particular way people look at events and time would be helpful for me.

pgardn said:
Time is a human construct.
No it isn't. It is a human word used to describe a natural phenomena. Time exists whether we are here to observe it or not.

russ_watters said:
No it isn't. It is a human word used to describe a natural phenomena. Time exists whether we are here to observe it or not.

The arrow of time may be a human construct.

We can't really be sure whether something is a human construct or not. Even reality, despite how paradoxical it is, is something we take as common sense and for granted.

maverick_starstrider said:
The arrow of time may be a human construct.
No, the arrow of time is a consequence of thermodynamics. It is also built into the laws of the universe.

Gear300 said:
We can't really be sure whether something is a human construct or not. Even reality, despite how paradoxical it is, is something we take as common sense and for granted.
Yeah, we really can. You guys are arguing against the definition of science here. The whole point of science is to explain/understand natural phenomena. That is - things that exist in nature, whether we are here to observe them or not.

If we define a "year" to be something other than its current definition, that doesn't make the sun any younger or older.

russ_watters said:
No, the arrow of time is a consequence of thermodynamics. It is also built into the laws of the universe.

That's not the current consensus I'm afraid. The second law of thermodynamics is not sufficient explanation. Actually Sean Carroll just wrote a book about this (Here to Eternity).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_of_time

? In that wiki article there are 7 "arrows of time" listed and 6 of them are consequences/manifestations of the thermodynamic arrow.

Since that article doesn't mention Sean Carroll, it doesn't really say anything about what you are talking about...

russ_watters said:
? In that wiki article there are 7 "arrows of time" listed and 6 of them are consequences/manifestations of the thermodynamic arrow.

Since that article doesn't mention Sean Carroll, it doesn't really say anything about what you are talking about...

Sean Carroll's kind of the Michio Kaku of GR/cosmology if you don't know who he is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_M._Carroll). Anywho my point merely was that the physicality/reality of a "forward" facing, continuous "arrow of time" is by no means a proved concept in cosmology

russ_watters said:
Yeah, we really can. You guys are arguing against the definition of science here. The whole point of science is to explain/understand natural phenomena. That is - things that exist in nature, whether we are here to observe them or not.

If we define a "year" to be something other than its current definition, that doesn't make the sun any younger or older.

Couldn't we say that we take for granted what 'natural phenomena' is?

Gear300 said:
Couldn't we say that we take for granted what 'natural phenomena' is?
We can say anything, but that doesn't mean it makes any sense... could you explain what you mean?

To perhaps jump ahead, science requires the assumption that our senses or our God aren't screwing with us. Is that what you are getting at?

Applied to time, we measure time based on physical processes such as the oscillations of a cesium atom. Are you saying that if humans weren't here, the number of times a cesium atom oscillated since the sun formed would be different?

russ_watters said:
We can say anything, but that doesn't mean it makes any sense... could you explain what you mean?

To perhaps jump ahead, science requires the assumption that our senses or our God aren't screwing with us. Is that what you are getting at?

Applied to time, we measure time based on physical processes such as the oscillations of a cesium atom. Are you saying that if humans weren't here, the number of times a cesium atom oscillated since the sun formed would be different?

Well, if I've correctly dusted the cobwebs from my memory, all quantum systems have time symmetry and anti-particles can be treated as normal particles moving backwards in time with identical results.

Gear300 said:

russ_watters said:

Rocks are hard and water is wet. The consensus in discussions of physics as a science is that we are assume an independent reality. This is not a know, but an assumption, that we should be using in common.

russ_watters said:

No...I'm just saying things might be like that...then again, even if humans weren't around, the number of oscillations just might be the same. But how do we know which side is true?...and if we were to go even deeper, we probably wouldn't be able to define truth too well either...though I take it that many would say that this goes beyond science. I'm not taking any sides, I'm just saying that both of those options are possible.

Gear300 said:
No...I'm just saying things might be like that...then again, even if humans weren't around, the number of oscillations just might be the same. But how do we know which side is true?...and if we were to go even deeper, we probably wouldn't be able to define truth too well either...though I take it that many would say that this goes beyond science. I'm not taking any sides, I'm just saying that both of those options are possible.

This thread is heading for a shift in folders.

Heheh...I noticed.

Phrak said:
Rocks are hard and water is wet. The consensus in discussions of physics as a science is that we are assume an independent reality. This is not a know, but an assumption, that we should be using in common.
So what?

Gear300 said:
Possible or not, none of that is useful. The fact of the matter is that science, as currently conceived, works. So all this idle speculation about god screwing with us really isn't useful in describing reality.

To me the problem is simply that people don't believe or accept what science is. Otherwise, such side-discussions wouldn't be necessary. The OP's question wasn't necessarily clear, but the answers to the different possibilities really are.

Even if we were to move it, I don't know where we'd put it because it isn't philosophy, it's just a bunch of wrong assertions about the nature of science and its relationship with reality. These issues really aren't that hard - people just have trust issues when it comes to acceptance of reality.

russ_watters said:

By my reasoning time has no meaning unless events occur.
Time makes no sense to me unless things happen. If all of the sudden
nothing occurred, no events take place, time would be meaningless. Therefore I consider time a human construct. Just as space is. If nothing exists, space has no
meaning. It does not matter if we are around or not. The fact is we are around and
we did make up these words which represent ideas.

I realize the attempts of humans
to understand and predict phenomena rely heavily on ideas or models that
appear to be very accurate in predicting. The struggle to understand our world
must involve some clarification in order to be sure assumptions we have made
are sound. I was under the assumption that simultaneous, which is a word that
represents an idea, must be carefully defined. I thought one had to be very
careful in using the idea that an event that occurs on the face of the Earth
and an event that occurs at the "edge" of the universe can occur simultaneously.

Any further clarification would help me out. I know this is probably too philisophical,
and maybe not practical to many, but I get fairly confused thinking we are not all
on the same page about ideas such as simultaneous.

pgardn said:
By my reasoning time has no meaning unless events occur.
Time makes no sense to me unless things happen. If all of the sudden
nothing occurred, no events take place, time would be meaningless. Therefore I consider time a human construct. Just as space is. If nothing exists, space has no
meaning. It does not matter if we are around or not. The fact is we are around and
we did make up these words which represent ideas.

I realize the attempts of humans
to understand and predict phenomena rely heavily on ideas or models that
appear to be very accurate in predicting. The struggle to understand our world
must involve some clarification in order to be sure assumptions we have made
are sound. I was under the assumption that simultaneous, which is a word that
represents an idea, must be carefully defined. I thought one had to be very
careful in using the idea that an event that occurs on the face of the Earth
and an event that occurs at the "edge" of the universe can occur simultaneously.

Any further clarification would help me out. I know this is probably too philisophical,
and maybe not practical to many, but I get fairly confused thinking we are not all
on the same page about ideas such as simultaneous.

Well simultaneity, as you describe, is just a matter of SR and really doesn't, by any stretch, have to engage the "edge of the universe" (if such a thing exists). GPS satellites have to use SR (and GR apparently), and it's observed everyday in accelerators around the world. The picture of simultaneity it paints, however, is very well understood. It may defy common intuition but it has an extraordinarly accurate scientific and experimental model. Those kind of questions, for lack of a better word, are "child's play" in the pantheon of physics.

Well simultaneity, as you describe, is just a matter of SR and really doesn't, by any stretch, have to engage the "edge of the universe" (if such a thing exists). GPS satellites have to use SR (and GR apparently), and it's observed everyday in accelerators around the world. The picture of simultaneity it paints, however, is very well understood. It may defy common intuition but it has an extraordinarly accurate scientific and experimental model. Those kind of questions, for lack of a better word, are "child's play" in the pantheon of physics.

I used the "edge of the universe" to magnify what my point is. I still don't know what it means. Or if it is even useful to know what it is supposed to mean. I understand the practical uses in classical physics. But beyond that, simultaneity does not make sense to me. I need to go back and look at those funky particles that were together and separated, and then the spin (or someother measurable quantity) was changed in one and the other supposedly changed immediately or simultaneously. This has big implications for me on the way I view this idea and the propigation of "information" requiring no time thus we think events can take place simultaneously. I think that was what I was reading about. ANd I got rather blown away...

A.T. said:
As DH already said, this simlistic logic is wrong. It assumes that a field can only contain information about the position of the source during emission. But a field can also contain information about the velocity of the source during emission.

The electric field is like this too: The field lines of a inertially moving charge always point towards the current position of the charge, not some old position from which the field was emitted. But this does not meant the electric field is instantaneous. It just means that the field moves at the same speed as the source was moving during emission.

I do not think that electric and gravitational fields should be used as a comparison because the speed of light is and the photon are not involved with gravity. The graviton is (I think) a theoretical particle which still does not solve our problem.