Demagnetization of repelling poles

• Thread starter Hypochondriac
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poles
In summary, the conversation discusses whether two opposing poles of a magnet will demagnetize if forced to stay next to each other. It is mentioned that conventionally, heat and impact can destroy the dipoles in a magnet, but it is unlikely that simply repelling the poles will disorganize the dipole. It is suggested that a large opposing magnetic force would be needed to demagnetize the poles.
Hypochondriac
Bit of a simple question but one I've never really had to think about.

Lets say you have two opposing poles of a magnet (a ferromagnet i guess), they repel of course, but will forcing them to stay next to each other eventually demagnetize them?
My instinct tells me no, but maybe the force generated could disorganise the manetic dipoles in the ferromagnet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting question, conventionally to destroy the dipoles in a magnet, sufficient heat past its Curie point and impact of the material will disable the magnetic capabilities. Try doing a simple experiment first, magnetize an iron nail, then repel the like poles with a permanent magnet. However, I do agree with your intuition that it will not disorganize the dipole. It will most probably require a huge amount of opposing magnetic force (i.e. electromagnetic pulse in the opposing direction.)

I can assure you that forcing two opposing poles of a magnet to stay next to each other will not demagnetize them. This is because the magnetic field of a magnet is created by aligned magnetic dipoles within the material. When two magnets are placed close to each other with opposing poles, the magnetic dipoles within each magnet will still remain aligned and therefore maintain their magnetic properties.

The force generated between the two magnets may cause some slight disorganization of the magnetic dipoles, but this will not be enough to completely demagnetize the magnets. In order to fully demagnetize a magnet, a much stronger external magnetic field or high temperatures are required to disrupt the alignment of the magnetic dipoles.

In fact, the repelling force between the two magnets may even help to strengthen their magnetization, as it is a natural property of magnets to align their dipoles in the same direction to minimize repulsive forces.

So, in conclusion, forcing two opposing poles of a magnet to stay next to each other will not demagnetize them. The magnetic dipoles within the magnets will remain aligned and their magnetic properties will be maintained.

1. What is demagnetization of repelling poles?

Demagnetization of repelling poles is the gradual loss of magnetic strength in two poles of a magnet that are facing each other in a repelling position. This phenomenon occurs due to external factors such as heat, vibration, and exposure to other magnetic fields, causing the magnetic domains in the material to become disorganized and lose their alignment.

2. How does demagnetization of repelling poles affect the strength of a magnet?

Demagnetization of repelling poles decreases the overall strength of a magnet as the magnetic domains become disoriented and cancel out each other's magnetic fields. This results in a weaker magnetic force between the two poles.

3. What are some common causes of demagnetization of repelling poles?

Some common causes of demagnetization of repelling poles include exposure to high temperatures, mechanical shock or vibration, and exposure to strong external magnetic fields.

4. Can demagnetization of repelling poles be reversed?

Yes, demagnetization of repelling poles can be reversed by subjecting the magnet to a strong magnetic field in the opposite direction. This process is known as magnetization and can restore the alignment of the magnetic domains, thus increasing the strength of the magnet.

5. How can I prevent demagnetization of repelling poles?

To prevent demagnetization of repelling poles, it is essential to store magnets in a cool, dry place away from heat sources and strong magnetic fields. Avoid dropping or subjecting magnets to strong vibrations. Additionally, using materials with high magnetic permeability, such as iron, can help shield the magnet from external fields and prevent demagnetization.