How can I make my homemade electromagnets repel each other?

In summary, it appears that one of the magnets is stronger than the other, and when they are connected they only feel like they're not attracting each other.
corydax
I have two homemade electromagnets and I need them to repel each other (essentially, be able to physically spin around). Each feels about as strong as a decent fridge magnet when connected, however when I put their opposite poles next to each other, they do not repel - they only feel like they're not attracting each other. I've tried adding more turns (they're both around 7-9 layers of coils deep and I'd rather not make them any thicker if possible) and using different core materials (all of which are ferromagnetic) but nothing is making any difference. How can I fix this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
corydax said:
I have two homemade electromagnets and I need them to repel each other (essentially, be able to physically spin around). Each feels about as strong as a decent fridge magnet when connected, however when I put their opposite poles next to each other, they do not repel - they only feel like they're not attracting each other. I've tried adding more turns (they're both around 7-9 layers of coils deep and I'd rather not make them any thicker if possible) and using different core materials (all of which are ferromagnetic) but nothing is making any difference. How can I fix this?
Pics? Schematics? Videos?

Oh, and Welcome to the :PF. :smile:

berkeman said:
Pics? Schematics? Videos?

Oh, and Welcome to the :PF. :smile:

Thank you!

They look kind of rough right now because I've been experimenting with stuff a lot (this is my first time doing something like this), plus I'm only using materials I had on hand, but here they are. The one in the first pic is stronger, if that helps answer my question at all.
:
IMG_20180323_211734.jpg
IMG_20180323_211744.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180323_211734.jpg
    IMG_20180323_211734.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_20180323_211744.jpg
    IMG_20180323_211744.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 511
How much voltage are you applying?

Does it get hot?

anorlunda said:
How much voltage are you applying?

Does it get hot?

I usually use 2 6-volt batteries for each magnet, which gets hot fairly quickly (within 30-45s).

Edit: It gets hotter much faster for the first (stronger) magnet of the two pictures I sent. It's possible that the problem is with the second magnet.

Can you measure currents?

Looking at the wire mess (sorry for being blunt, my experiments often don't look much better if it helps) I wonder if all windings in the second coil are in the same direction.

If one magnet is stronger than the other, it will pull harder on the steel core of the weaker magnet than the weaker magnet repels the stronger magnet. Try winding two magnets using the same size cores and the same number of turns, then connecting them in series on the same battery (so they both get the same current). Then they should attract and repel properly.

And let us know how it works out.

1. Why do electromagnets not repel?

Electromagnets do not repel because they are made up of two opposing poles, a north pole and a south pole. The north pole of one magnet is attracted to the south pole of another magnet, causing them to attract and not repel.

2. Can electromagnets be made to repel?

Yes, electromagnets can be made to repel by reversing the polarity of the magnet. This can be done by either flipping the direction of current flow or by using a different power source.

3. How do electromagnets work?

Electromagnets work by using electricity to create a magnetic field. The electricity flows through a wire wrapped around an iron core, creating a magnetic field that can attract or repel other magnets.

4. What factors affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is affected by the number of coils in the wire, the amount of current flowing through the wire, and the type of core material used. Increasing any of these factors will increase the strength of the electromagnet.

5. Are electromagnets used for anything other than attracting or repelling objects?

Yes, electromagnets have many practical applications such as in motors, generators, MRI machines, and speakers. They are also used in industries such as manufacturing, transportation, and telecommunications.