Calculating Minimum Angle for a Rotary Encoder on a Rotary Inverted Pendulum

• Thread starter yasmean
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotary
In summary, a student is researching rotary encoders and wants to know how to calculate the smallest possible angle that can be measured by a rotary encoder for a rotary inverted pendulum based on its resolution. The resolution of a rotary encoder is determined by the number of pulses per revolution it can detect, and the smallest angle that can be measured is determined by the ratio of the number of pulses per revolution to the total range of motion of the rotary inverted pendulum.
yasmean
1. Homework Statement
I am a student and am about to start my first year mechatronics shortly..i have been asked to research a few things on rotary encoders (incremental) and was wondering if one could help me understand how to calculate the smallest possible angle that can be measured by a rotary encoder of a rotary inverted pendulum based on the resolution of the encoder

Homework Equations

this is what i'd like to know

The Attempt at a Solution

none

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A rotary encoder measures the angle of rotation by counting the number of pulses generated by its internal sensors. The resolution of the encoder is determined by the number of pulses per revolution that it can detect. The smallest possible angle that can be measured by a rotary encoder is determined by the ratio of the number of pulses per revolution to the total range of motion of the rotary inverted pendulum. For example, if the rotary inverted pendulum has a range of motion of 360 degrees and the encoder has a resolution of 1000 pulses per revolution, then the smallest angle that can be measured is 0.36 degrees.

[/b]

Hello! It's great that you are starting your journey in mechatronics and are already researching rotary encoders. To calculate the minimum angle that can be measured by a rotary encoder for a rotary inverted pendulum, you will need to consider the resolution of the encoder and the mechanical setup of the pendulum.

The resolution of an encoder is typically given in pulses per revolution (PPR) or counts per revolution (CPR). This value represents the number of pulses or counts that the encoder produces in one full rotation. To calculate the minimum angle, you will need to divide 360 degrees by the PPR or CPR. For example, if your encoder has a resolution of 1024 PPR, the minimum angle that can be measured is 360/1024 = 0.3515625 degrees.

However, this calculation assumes that the encoder is perfectly aligned with the rotation axis of the pendulum and that there is no mechanical backlash or play in the system. In reality, there may be some misalignment or play, which can affect the accuracy of the measurement. In this case, it is important to consider the mechanical setup and make adjustments to ensure the best possible measurement accuracy.

I hope this helps you understand how to calculate the minimum angle for a rotary encoder on a rotary inverted pendulum. Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is a rotary encoder?

A rotary encoder is an electromechanical device used to convert rotary motion into a series of electrical pulses. It provides feedback on the position, speed, and direction of rotation of a shaft.

2. How does a rotary encoder work?

A rotary encoder consists of a rotating shaft, a stationary disc with evenly spaced slots, and a light source and detector. As the shaft rotates, the slots on the disc interrupt the light beam, creating a series of pulses that correspond to the movement of the shaft. These pulses are then interpreted by a microcontroller to determine the position and movement of the shaft.

3. What are the different types of rotary encoders?

The two main types of rotary encoders are incremental and absolute. Incremental encoders provide relative position information, while absolute encoders provide absolute position information. There are also optical and magnetic encoders, which use different technologies to detect the rotation of the shaft.

4. What are the applications of rotary encoders?

Rotary encoders are commonly used in industrial automation, robotics, CNC machines, and other precision control systems. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as computer mice and volume knobs on audio equipment.

5. How do I choose the right rotary encoder for my application?

The key factors to consider when choosing a rotary encoder are resolution, accuracy, speed, and durability. You should also consider the environment in which the encoder will be used, as some encoders are better suited for harsh or high-temperature environments. It is important to carefully evaluate your specific application and consult with a supplier or engineer to determine the best rotary encoder for your needs.