Do conflicting political views make a relationship impossible?

In summary, it is possible to have a good relationship with someone who has different political beliefs, as long as both parties are willing to compromise. However, if either party is extremely devoted to their views and refuses to listen to or understand the views of the other, the relationship will most likely fail.
brainstorm
Is it possible to have a good relationship when the two people don't basically agree on politics? Granted, some people can agree that it's good to differ but what if they differ in the most fundamental beliefs about politics? E.g. what if one person really likes a certain politician, party, or ideology while the other one thinks that politician is a crook and/or a murderous dictator, an ideology is a scam, a party is evil, insane, etc.?

If people cannot accept political differences in a relationship, does that put political pressure on one of the two to relinquish the views that so deeply offend the other? Is a relationship worth compromising your truest beliefs about what is right, or should you end a relationship rather than appease the other person by admitting they are right when you don't really think they are?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be interesting, since you can always debate on your different views. But in general, **** politics - it can't stand between a healthy relationship.

It kind of depends.

On the surface, it's like asking if it's possible to have a good relationship when one person likes romance movies while the other likes action movies. People can have different tastes, but still get along just fine.

On the other hand, it's very important for some people to belong to a group and being committed to a certain political party helps fulfill that need. It becomes almost like being totally committed to different religions. Someone that into their political party would definitely have a problem accepting a person with different political beliefs - it's a confront to their very identity.

Personally, I don't think I could have a relationship with a person totally committed to their political party, regardless of which party it is. People tend to do weird things and accept all kinds of absurdities, and some times even atrocities, when they're that committed to a political party.

haven't you ever heard it said not to talk about politics in a social situation?

It depends on how seriously either partner thinks their views are the only possible logical conclusion.
If either or both are unmoving and hence have less faith in their partner's critical thinking/generally intelligence I can see it being an issue.

But I've never personally met anyone that unmoving in their beliefs.

Smiles302 said:
It depends on how seriously either partner thinks their views are the only possible logical conclusion.
If either or both are unmoving and hence have less faith in their partner's critical thinking/generally intelligence I can see it being an issue.

Oh go hang out in the Political & World Affairs Forum, you'll meet some there :wink:.

Smiles302 said:

You haven't looked in our Politics and World Affairs forum.

I've witnessed differences in politics kill many budding relationships.

lisab said:
Oh go hang out in the Political & World Affairs Forum, you'll meet some there :wink:.

Evo said:
You haven't looked in our Politics and World Affairs forum.

I've witnessed differences in politics kill many budding relationships.
:rofl:

I would find it strange that two people can have compatible personalities and be able to maintain a relationship yet be devoted to or have intense hatred for opposing political parties or ideologies. I mean, people who are intensely left-wing or right-wing or top-wing or bbq-wing, they typically think people at the other end of the spectrum are evil doers that want to destroy the world. I can't imagine it would work. However, if its just two normal people who just vote differently, then who cares. People that serious about politics are mentally... hilarious.

1. Can people with conflicting political views have a successful relationship?

Yes, it is possible for people with conflicting political views to have a successful relationship. While political beliefs may be important to some individuals, they do not necessarily define a person's entire identity or values. Relationships are built on communication, understanding, and compromise, which can help bridge the gap between different political beliefs.

2. Will having different political views lead to constant arguments and conflicts?

Not necessarily. While disagreements may occur, they do not have to be constant or lead to conflicts. Respectful communication and active listening can help prevent arguments and allow for healthy discussions about differing opinions.

3. Is it important for partners to have similar political views?

It depends on the individuals and the relationship. Some people may prioritize having similar political views in their partner, while others may not see it as important. Ultimately, compatibility and mutual respect are key factors in a successful relationship, regardless of political beliefs.

4. Can differing political views cause a relationship to end?

While political views can be a factor in a relationship, they are not always the cause of its end. Other factors such as lack of communication, trust, or compatibility may play a bigger role. However, it is important for both partners to be open to discussing their political views and finding common ground.

5. How can partners with conflicting political views navigate their differences in a relationship?

Partners with conflicting political views can navigate their differences by practicing open and respectful communication, actively listening to each other's perspectives, and finding common ground. It is also important to remember that it is okay to have different opinions and that compromise is key in any relationship.