Angular Frequency, Time, and Angle

In summary: As mentioned before, the cosine function is periodic with a period of 360 degrees or 2pi radians. So any angle that is a multiple of 360 degrees or 2pi radians will have the same cosine value. In this case, 1085 degrees is equivalent to 5 degrees because they are both multiples of 360 degrees.
Larry717
pi = 3.14159...
angular frequency = 2(pi)f
theta [in radians] = 2(pi)f t

t = theta / 2(pi)f

For theta = 0, t = 0
For theta = 2(pi), t = 1/f

If 0 =< theta <= 2(pi)
Then 0 =< t <= 1/f

[I'm not sure if the notation above
is correct.]

Is the foregoing true for any frequency?
For instance, 10^10 radians/s?

Larry

Physics news on Phys.org
When [tex]\theta=2\pi[/tex], one whole cycle has been completed. By definition, the time taken for a whole cycle is the period [tex]T[/tex]. The relationship between the period and the frequency is [tex]T=1/f[/tex].

Note that [tex]\theta[/tex] denotes angular displacement. There is no need to constraint the value of [tex]\theta[/tex] to be less than [tex]2\pi[/tex]. When it is larger than [tex]2\pi[/tex], it just simply means that it has completed more than one cycle. For instance, when [tex]\theta=4\pi[/tex], it has completed two cycles and certainly the time taken will be twice of the period, i.e. [tex]2T[/tex].

Hope that I do answer your question correctly.

Kenneth

Taking this a step further

Ken,

Thanks for reviewing the basics about frequency, period, and angle.
I still need some help with angles larger than 2pi.

Take the equation for a sinusoidally varying
electric field:

E = Eo cos(2pift)

In the above, t doesn't have to be the period.

Now, for a hypothetical example, let:

2pif = 10^10 radians/s
and t = 1s

What does cos(2pift) equal?

My calculator gives an error message. Doesn't
the angle have to be be between 0 and 2pi for
the cosine function to work?

Or, doesn't the product of f and t have to vary
between zero and 1? (same thing as above)

Larry

The reason why your calculator gives you an error message, is that the argument you've given it is larger than the maximum argument of the cosine function your calculator has been built to handle.
Basically, you're giving it a major headache, and it responds with a grumpy error message.

Getting Closer!

arildno said:
The reason why your calculator gives you an error message, is that the argument you've given it is larger than the maximum argument of the cosine function your calculator has been built to handle.
Basically, you're giving it a major headache, and it responds with a grumpy error message.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that an argument of any size
is ok.

Isn't there an algorithm that can be done by hand or by computer program that can take an agument of any size (an angle of any size) and reduce it to an angle between 0 and 2pi?

Recall that for cos(2pift) the argument (the angle) will always be positive. And, that the cosine function must return a value between -1 and 1.

Given the angle 10^10 radians. Given that there is another angle between
0 and 2pi that will return the same value for the cosine function, is the
smaller angle equivalent to the larger angle?

Larry

Recall that [tex]\cos(\theta)[/tex] is a periodic function of [tex]\theta[/tex]. The period in this case is [tex]2\pi[/tex]. This function will repeat itself in the range of [tex][0,2\pi], [2\pi,4\pi], [4\pi,6\pi][/tex], etc. Therefore, whatever value of [tex]\theta[/tex] you have, you will always find a value of [tex]\theta[/tex] within [tex]2\pi[/tex] so that the value of the function is the same.

Hope that this clarifies your doubt.

Kenneth

Clarification

To illustrate more clearly what I'm after I'd like to switch
from units in radians to units in degrees.

Given theta = 1085 deg.

n = 1085/360 = 3.0138889

phi = 360(n-3) = 5 deg.

cos(phi) = cos(theta)

Now, are the angles 5 deg. and 1085 deg. equivalent?

Larry

Yes, they are equivalent.

1. What is angular frequency?

Angular frequency is a measure of how quickly an object or system rotates or oscillates. It is represented by the symbol ω (omega) and is measured in radians per second.

2. How is angular frequency related to time?

Angular frequency is directly proportional to time. This means that as the time increases, so does the angular frequency. As the time decreases, the angular frequency also decreases.

3. What is the relationship between angular frequency and angle?

Angular frequency and angle are directly proportional. This means that as the angular frequency increases, the angle also increases. As the angular frequency decreases, the angle decreases.

4. How can angular frequency be calculated?

Angular frequency can be calculated by dividing the angular velocity by the radius of rotation. It can also be calculated by dividing 2π by the period of rotation.

5. What are some real-life applications of angular frequency?

Angular frequency is used in many areas of science and technology, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It is used to calculate the motion of objects in circular motion, such as the rotation of wheels, the orbit of planets, and the vibrations of pendulums.