Exploring Bianchi IX Models for Metric Invariance

In summary: And moreover, the Killing vectors span the entire three-dimensional space, so the geometry of the universe is isotropic.
befj0001
In a Bianchi IX universe the metric must be invariant under the SO(3) group acting on the 3-sphere. Hence, the metric must be translation invariant in the spatial parts, where t=constant. This implies that the metric must take the form such that:

ds^2 = dt^2 - g_ij(t)(x^i)(x^j), where g is a function of t alone. Am I right about all this?

What concerns me is that someone told me that the metric:

ds^2 = -dt^2 + a^2(t)(dx)^2 + b^2(t)(dy)^2 + (b^2sin^2y+a^2cos^2y)(dz)^2 - 2a^2cosydxdz

belong to the Bianchi IX models. But this doesn't seem right?!

Am I right about the Biachi IX models being homogeneous but not necesseraly isotropic?

Physics news on Phys.org
befj0001 said:
What concerns me is that someone told me that the metric:

ds^2 = -dt^2 + a^2(t)(dx)^2 + b^2(t)(dy)^2 + (b^2sin^2y+a^2cos^2y)(dz)^2 - 2a^2cosydxdz

belong to the Bianchi IX models. But this doesn't seem right?!
Why don't you just write down a few of the Killing vectors and calculate their commutators?

Bill_K said:
Why don't you just write down a few of the Killing vectors and calculate their commutators?

Yes, the Lie algebra is isomorphic to SO(3). But what does it imply about the geometry of the universe? The spatial part being homogeneous under the action of SO(3) doesn't say anything to me!

I think like this: Since the underlying space of SO(3) is a 3-sphere, and then if the spatial part of the universe is a 3-sphere, the metric would be invariant under ordinary spatial translations just like the Minkowski space is invariant under ordinary spatial translations. But since Minkowski space is flat and noncompact, translation invariance is instead asociated by the Euclidean group of translations not SO(3). Am I on the right track?

My concern about the above metric was that I thought the x,y,z coordinates were cartesian coordiantes locally on the 3-sphere. Instead they are coordinates on the perpendicular coordinate axis witch span the entire four-manifold. Right?

Last edited:
Any thoughts?

befj0001 said:
Any thoughts?
Well the first thing that should hit you in the face about this metric is that it is independent of both x and z. Which tells you there are two obvious Killing vectors, and furthermore that they commute. So the isometry group is not SO(3)! There may be four Killing vectors, not just three.

Last edited:

1. What are Bianchi IX models?

Bianchi IX models are mathematical models used in cosmology to study the evolution of the universe. They describe the spacetime of a homogeneous and anisotropic universe, meaning that the universe is the same in every direction but not necessarily the same in all locations.

2. What is metric invariance in relation to Bianchi IX models?

Metric invariance refers to the property of a metric, which is a mathematical function used to measure distances, to remain unchanged under certain transformations. In the context of Bianchi IX models, metric invariance means that the equations used to describe the evolution of the universe remain the same even when the metric is transformed.

3. How are Bianchi IX models used in cosmology?

Bianchi IX models are used in cosmology to study the behavior of the universe at different points in its history. They can help us understand the evolution of the universe, including its expansion and the formation of structures such as galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

4. What are the limitations of exploring Bianchi IX models for metric invariance?

One limitation of exploring Bianchi IX models for metric invariance is that they only consider a homogeneous and anisotropic universe, which may not accurately reflect the real universe. Additionally, the equations used in these models may not fully capture all the complexities and interactions of the universe.

5. How do Bianchi IX models contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Bianchi IX models provide a simplified framework for studying the universe and its evolution. By exploring these models and their properties, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of the universe and potentially make predictions about its future. They also help us test and refine existing theories and develop new ones to explain the origin and evolution of the universe.